× General Discussion

Thread in the physicians forums - is it depressing anyone else?

More
11 years 11 months ago #16668 by sisriver
Have you all watched the film Sicko? I think the message of the film could hold many answers for us. If you rent the dvd, there are 2 interviews for viewing from Harvard professors including Marcia Angell.

My sense is that all of us, patients and healthcare providers, are feeling the tremendous insecurity that the American system has left us with. Patients are so needy: if they are sick, they are aware that their insurance companies are seeking a way to drop them. As physicians, we can treat illness, but we can't resolve their fear of the shameful American for-profit health insurance system.

When I watched the film, I wondered how I would think if i'd been trained in the European system. What it would feel like to recommend something because I know it's what's best for the patient, rather than what I'm outlined by in avoiding lawsuits or in what the insurance or hospital has approved/preferred.

I am speaking more in the abstract here, but it's because I think it weighs tremendously on all of us without us pinpointing it. That we are burdened by the desire of the insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals (and yes, some doctors too) to MAKE PROFIT. And by the politicians who need some of that money for their campaigns. (this is an aside, but the heads of these organizations are white upper middle-aged men)

And really all we wanted was a secure livelihood, intellectual stimulation, respect, all while helping people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #16669 by Doc201X

Originally posted by mommd2b:
Hey path....

Why are you considering a post doc instead of a residency? (This is not an attempt at sarcasm, btw) What would stop you from just continuing with the immunohistochem stuff etc that you are working on now and going on to the PhD level then. I thought you can't work clinically as a pathologist without the residency? Why med school then?

Again...not sarcastic...just curious from what you've written.

I can't PM you ( :mad: ) so I'll have to thank you openly for your supportive words. Just what I needed for finals this Friday!
:boggled:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
11 years 11 months ago #16670 by mommd2b
Is my inbox full again? I'll have to dump some messages at some point here....

Good luck with finals path! :D

My husband trained in the European system and he is pretty appalled by a lot of what he sees here, but what bothers him the most is the arrogance and self-justification with which these decisions are made and defended.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

More
11 years 11 months ago #16671 by sisriver
mommd2b, I'd really like to hear more about your husband's view. Could you/he post here or on the Debates/Issues forum where it is being discussed? I agree with him about the arrogance/self-justification, and I think we even learn to model after that in medical school. What happens is that that attitude closes us off to debate about the issue.

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!