× General Discussion

Single Mom & Student

More
17 years 5 months ago #16782 by bjwarren
Kristin & Rosalie are right on target. You're a mom now. Although 'we' think that living with our parents is the worst case scenario, it truly is ideal for the kids! Yeah, yeah. There's many days when I am begging to be out again on my own, but then I wake up and see my daughter's smiling face and realize that this is right where we are meant to be at this moment.
I am a 27 year old pre-med student, full-time mother, full-time employee who needed to move back in with my parents. It is working out wonderfully. The working is killing me. I don't get to see Ronni as often as I would like, but I am saving as much as possible now to make thing a little easier during med school.
The nearest med school to my parents is 3 hours away, and I am hoping to get into one of 2 schools which is across the country. I am even talking my mom into moving with us if I get accepted. I'm sure that she will in the end. This is more cost efficient, better for Ronni to spend as much time with her grandparent(s), and on and on.
I don't know your personal situation, but it has brought my family closer than ever; it has even turned us into the nearest thing to the "functional" family as we can be! LOL
If medical school is truly what you want, you can do it! (even with a child -- even a baby!) And, you also have to keep everyone's best interests in mind.
Hope this helps! Good luck to you with whatever you decide! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #16783 by anbdo
You have to do what best for yourself and your child. You won't be able to work and go to medical school full time. You are going to need your mother support (or someone support) in order to be successful. I didn't live with my mother while I was in medical school and residency and she was able to provide the support I needed. In the meantime I didn't see my child everyday either. Both decisions have strong pro and cons. You have to decide what best for the two of you.

More
17 years 5 months ago #16784 by brown_eyed_girl
i have seen a lot of people suggest supporting yourself with student loans, but what about health insurance? my son has asthma and gets sick regularly once the cold weather hits. when i first found out i was pregnant that was the first thing i felt i needed to take care of was having health insurance for both of us (i am a single mom and was 19 and a student when i got pregnant) right now i work part time and am still able to get benefits from my job, but i know if i get into med school i'll have to leave this job. does anyone here know of anyone who has worked through med school? how much of a possibility is it? sorry if my post is a little off and panicky.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!