× General Discussion

Would you go into medicine again if you had the choice?

More
13 years 10 months ago #17577 by Cates
The results are interesting, but the question "would you do it again" included both med students and physicians. In the previous question regarding career satisfaction, med students were more satisfied than physicians. Even so, it seems like there are more satisfied physicians in that survey than on these posts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #17578 by DocPT
I am 43 years old, graduated from medical school 18 years ago and practice in an internal medicine subspecialty (not a glamorous or high-paying one!). I follow this site intermittantly and almost never post. I can tell you that I and most of the MD's I know are indeed happy with our decision to go to medical school.

Among practicing physicians, I think this site tends to attract a disproportionate number of those who are unhappy because they are looking for some new ideas, or to vent.

I had my children on the later side, long after I was already an attending. I now work part time and feel fortunate to be able to do so. There are very few professions where one can do important, generally satisfying work on a part time basis and earn a respectable salary. Respectable compared to other jobs, not to other fulltime physicians, of course!

Yes, there are definitely more hassles now than even when I started in practice. Managed care, financial pressures, demanding patients, etc. You have to pick a specialty that truly interests you intellectually, and a practice situation that truly suits your personality. But in this very large field of medicine there are many, many choices, and opportunites to make change along the way.

Do you think doctors are any more unhappy than our friends who are lawyers, MBA's, teachers?

The road has been long and hard with many sacrifices but also many rewards. I vote a resounding "Yes," I would absolutely do it all over again.

More
13 years 10 months ago #17579 by DO?
Can you elaborate on what you enjoy about medicine and what a typical week is for you? What area of subspecialty practice are you in :) Thanks

More
13 years 9 months ago #17580 by star
I am currently in my last semester of undergrad and am interviewing at several medical schools. I have wanted to be a physician since I was six years old. I have always been interested in medicine-- both of my parents, two of my grandparents, and my mother- and father-in-law are in the medical field. I'm from a rural area and hope to go back for my practice. I want to go into family practice and do not think I am uninformed. I hope to say, after I have been practicing a few years, that I would do it again; I am in a very demanding undergrad honors program right now, and many people do not make it through to graduation. I am a better person for all the work I have put in. Life is moment to moment, and one just has to remember that it is all worth it if you can halp people in need. My mom is a physical therapist, and she has been a great role model for me. I am extremely excited about my future and have great support from my family.

Star

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!