× General Discussion

nurses in medicine: need some advice

More
10 years 2 months ago #17863 by rnmd?
I'm working on my personal statement/interview prep and I want to verbalize how I feel that being a nurse will bring a different perspective to my practice as an MD, but I don't know how to say it without insulting the MD profession. I was thinking about talking about how nursing focuses on prevention, and treating the whole person in both health and illness, but to me that kinda seems like I'm saying that MDs don't care about prevention/health promotion. Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #17864 by TexasRose
I think you can say that your training as a nurse taught you the value and importance of disease prevention and treating the whole person and that you plan to carry that focus into your practice as a physician. :)

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
10 years 2 months ago #17865 by residentmom
I think the personal contact with patients ought to make you more empathetic-- most doctors have never had that one-on-one personal care like a nurse has with patients. Also ability to communicate with the team-- I always think nurses are way better at care handoff than docs are.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
10 years 2 months ago #17866 by asunshine

Originally posted by residentmom:
I always think nurses are way better at care handoff than docs are.

I heartily agree from what I've seen so far!

rnmd, if you put it in a positive light, as in skills you want to bring to medicine, you'll be fine. Just make sure you define exactly what you want out of medicine that is not within nursing's realm.

More
10 years 2 months ago #17867 by futureMrsMD
I think you should say how your knowledge now will help you as you go through medical school and will help your classmates as well.
What you are doing is nothing short of fabulous. I wanted to do the same thing you're doing- get my BSN and go back to school for 2 years, do all my pre-reqs for med school, then apply... except the university told me I couldn't do it that way- they didnt want to send someone through nursing school knowing they'd never be a nurse for their whole life. I guess they just didn't want to be "Wasting" the positions available for students if they're using it as a stepping stool for their education plan. I wanted so badly to know more than the MS1 about health... :hyper:
So kudos to you!

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

More
10 years 1 month ago #17868 by rs4
rnmd, (note the lack of question mark :cool: )

you could:

write about how your training and work as a nurse gave you clinical experience that you hope will deepen your skill as a physician (it does mine)

say that your background as a nurse gives you a unique perspective into quality of care and continuity of care issues

say that your learning as a medical student and resident will be strengthened by the fact that you already know so much medical terminology (I remember being told we were learning the equivalent of a language or two during med school)

What I say now is that having been a nurse has everything to do with the kind of physician that I am (or hope to be)...caring, thorough, concerned with the human and the disease process, eager to continue learning, accurate and humble about things I don't know, well and just plan SAVVY :D

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!