× General Discussion

Beauty question...

More
11 years 8 months ago #18269 by mandm
There is no better place to ask this question. We are all women and want to be beautiful and many have the doctor's knowledge to answer this question. I always read and hear that soap is harsh on skin and that it changes the pH of the skin and removes the acid mantle...possibly causing irritation etc. The "clean feeling" is acually bad for your skin.

OK, I remember reading that the pH of the skin changes for a short time and then goes back to normal and that the acid mantle is replaced within a few hours. So, soaps can be ok cleansers.

Now, many cosmetic lines have soaps, washes or cleanser and many of them leave you with that clean feeling to some degree. The very gentle ones don't seem to be cleaning anything. So, what is the deal? I have normal skin that breaksout sometimes. I am trying to find a good cleanser but wanted to know the science too...Any ideas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18270 by mandm
I hope this is not considered seeking medical advice, if it is sorry again...

More
11 years 8 months ago #18271 by TexasRose
I think it's okay and not considered medical advice.

All I know is that a derm doc told me in college to use Dove and never, never use harsh soaps.

Maybe I owe my great skin to his advice??? ;)

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
11 years 8 months ago #18272 by twinkle
dove bar soap? hum...something to try...

More
11 years 8 months ago #18273 by mai tai
i use aveeno face wash. bar soap dries me out.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18274 by star
I use Dove sensitive skin (fragrance free) face wash when I have makeup to remove and Cetaphil gentle sking cleanser when I'm not wearing make-up. But I have very sensitive skin and most soaps leave my face red and irritated.

Star

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!