× General Discussion

OBGYN's Please Reply

More
12 years 10 months ago #19372 by medstudent24
Thanks for the advice. I am trying to be open-minded and really know what I am getting myself into before I actually commit to a field of medicine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #19373 by siflower
Just another perspective...
I'm a 3rd year, pregnant 22 weeks (due right at the tail end of 3rd year). I always thought I wanted to do OB/GYN or Peds. I loved my Peds rotation, and I plan to do my OB rotation next.

I, too, was always worried about the hours of OB. People kept telling me not to worry--that once residency is over, I could join a large practice so that I wouldn't be on call all the time. Now, as an OB patient myself, I've chosen an OB who delivers all of his patients' babies--even if he's not the one on-call. I really admire his dedication to his patients (which is why I chose him), but I know that if I were an OB, I could never be THAT dedicated.
I've come to realize that the "guilt factor" would be too much if I went into OB. I'd either feel guilty that I wasn't there for all of the patients' deliveries, or I'd feel guilty that I wasn't at home with my kids.

I definitely think that the hospitalist model of OB is probably a good thing for us doctors in the future (although as a patient, it's a little less appealing)

Also interesting: you'll know whether you're meant for Peds or OB when you see a delivery. If your instinct is to follow the baby when it comes out and forget Mom, you're meant to do Peds. If your focus tends to remain on Mom, then OB is for you. (I definitely follow the cute baby :) )

More
12 years 10 months ago #19374 by PhD2MD
I'm married to an OBS resident, I'm MED II, and I'm also 36 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping that my family doc will be able to do my delivery. If you're thinking OBS, and thinking lifestyle what about considering a family practice with an OBS focus? Especially if you get in a good group this can be rewarding with a lot less stress? If there are family docs who do this perhaps they can comment on how this worked out for them.

More
12 years 10 months ago #19375 by AnnaM
I'm an FP who does OB. I worked in a university teaching clinic for over 20 years. The malpractice insurance for an FP who does OB is certainly less than that for an OB, and most of the FP's that I know who do OB do about 3-6 deliveries a month. The problem is that if you are an FP doing OB you will most likely be doing it either in a very rural area or in a teaching situation, like I did. If either of those options appeal to you, then consider FP with OB. I currently have an ideal situation, since OB is what I love. I supervise L&D, postpartum and nursery for the FP residency service here from 7AM-noon, 5 days a week.
In a rural area, you will have patients who will expect you to be there for them if you don't join a group practice and make it clear that call is shared and the doc on call will deliver. I once had a lady get mad and leave my practice because I was on vacation when she delivered, in spite of the fact that I had moved my vacation forward by a week to make it more likely that I would be around (she delivered at 38 weeks).

More
12 years 9 months ago #19376 by TLC
It seems to me that they’re so many women in demanding specialties who seem to become displeased with their careers after having children. Then there is a huge conflict of having nothing else to fall back on a lot of debt.

This is my question – Did any of you who are now is this circumstance consider this before medical school or when you where in medical school? Did it never occur to you that you would be working 60+ or 80+ hours a week and not able to stay home with your children as much as you may like to? Or, did you consider that and realize it would be difficult but decided to do it anyhow?

I’m just curious as to whether everyone felt they knew what they were getting into with medicine and chose to take the chance of being dissatisfied or whether these things are typically never thought of by pre-medical / medical students at the time.

More
12 years 9 months ago #19377 by residentmom
Wanted to add to AnnaM's post-- that in my state, FPs who do OB pay the SAME malpractice insurance as OB/Gyns-- crazy, right?? The only ones still doing it are hospital employees, as our hospital is self-insured. Our OB malpractice here is so high that EVERY OB in town made themselves a hospital employee for this reason-- now they are all insured by the hospital instead of outside companies. I would be wary of a field where doctors are quitting in droves...

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!