× General Discussion

natural birth

More
14 years 5 months ago #2742 by BabyDR
Hey, I am curious. How does everyone feel aboout natural birth at home? or in a birthing center? Has anyone had one of those water births?
I've been reading about them online and I was wondering how women with medical backgrounds view it... :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2743 by Cabinbuilder
For me personally, I wouldn't want the mess at home. Plus if its your first child how do you know if you will be able to have the baby without issues? I only say that because if I hadn't been in the hospital for both of my kids I would be dead today due to complications. I don't like the pain of labor either, epidural all the way. Some people do very well all natural, I'm glad for them. It's a personal choice really.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2744 by MTaylor
I agree. I think home birth is a bad idea. Birthing center, a bit better. But my first choice is always in a hospital, with an OB, anesthesia, and an OR nearby.

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
14 years 5 months ago #2745 by mom1st
I also agree. I'd never give birth at home due to the risks. Nothing can go so badly so quickly as OB can... I want to be in a hospital with a physician and all the back up.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2746 by finallydoc
Ditto!

I wanted the person between my legs to be able to make decisions and act upon them STAT. Even in a hospital with a midwife, there may not be time for the midwife to call the OB.

I had both kids with an induction and that's the way to go. Not quite "natural" by some people's standards, but I knew when they were going to be born. I had NO labor pains and was able to walk into the hospital with all my composure. I had an epidural as soon as I needed it and best of all my OB - whom I had become close to after all those office visits delivered my my kids during office hours and fully awake.

There were ;) no complications, but I was comfortable knowing that a competent physician was taking care of me and that a state of the art NICU was down the hall if my kiddos had needed it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2747 by Dental-Mom
Well, they say that women used to deliver at home without medications.....HA! AND HOW MANY WOMEN USED TO DIE BECUASE OF COMPLICATIONS? :mad:

So it's nice to deliver at home and all that stuff, but why take the risk? You never know.

My labors were very short and I couldn't have anything with my first delivering at 30 weeks a 3 lbs baby....I was not ready for labor!

Then with my second, I had to be induced at 37 weeks and I was prepared very well this time. Labor was 2 hrs and I didn't want an epidural at all. So at 10 cm the baby's head was in a bad position and I couldn't push for 4 hrs! So I had my epidural.... :yes:

My labor pains are a super-bad cramping. No back pain or anything else. But for some women like my mom, it hurts every where. Your mind has something to do with it too. I set my mind to pain is OK, and I welcome every contraction by thinking that the baby was coming down, I was relaxed & I didn't lay down during labor. I also took a hot shower to speed things up!...but I lost it when they said you can't push! :yikes:

So thank God there's epidural these days. You never know when you are going to needed it.

Oh, I also had a Doula and my hospital offers aromatheraphy, lights a bit off and the birth ball--I didn't have time to sit on it :weeping:

So no! Home birth is too risky.

Dental mom.

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!