× General Discussion

natural birth

More
14 years 6 months ago #2766 by Dental-Mom
white_feather, no questions about home been better as far as the comfort of the mother goes. But since anything can happen during labor and delivery and we still don't know how to prevent everything 100%, I'd still will suck it up at the hospital even if the nurses are mean. Even if is not my favorite hospital. And even if it will hurt more. My children are way above my comfort. They are first.

My 2 midwives and my 2 OBs were all females. I couldn't tell the difference since they all shared the same views. They listened everytime I saw them, and respected my wishes.

I believe in making the mother very comfortable. I had a doula who also gave me the longest massage of my life!

If I ever have a friend having a baby at home. I would never judge her. It's her choice & I'd respect it 100%

Dental mom.

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #2767 by white_feather
I don't believe Karen read any of the posts on this thread, or she'd already know that homebirth midwives carry O2 and emergency medications in case of hemorrhage.

Dental Mom - I really don't wish to convince you personally to homebirth. It's clearly not a birthing option for every woman. But I do find this sentence disturbing:

My children are way above my comfort. They are first.

Medical practitioners are supposed to practice evidence based care, right? And the evidence suggests that homebirth is at least as safe, and possibly safer, than hospital birth for low risk pregnancy.

Therefore, a knowledgeable and intelligent mother choosing attended homebirth IS arguably putting her baby first.

You simply can't imply that homebirthing mothers are selfish for putting their comfort over the child's safety (which, I might add, has more than adequately been disproven on this thread) and then go on and say you wouldn't judge a friend who has a homebirth.

I think I'm going to leave the ball in your courts on this one. I'd love to banter back and forth on the research or on specific information IRT homebirth/hospital birth, but at this point, I'm not being presented with any research or solid policies against homebirth or for hospital birth . . . simply opinions & anecdotal evidence. Obviously, I can't force you to read the studies I've presented, but otherwise we're just going to go around in circles.

More
14 years 6 months ago #2768 by mum2adela
My last birth was at the hospital. It went very well. However, I had hoped to have a midwife. They couldn't take on anymore clients at the time. So, this time I'm going to start harassing them much sooner! ;) I want a home birth next time. I've proven to myself that I can go med free. This time I want to do it without being asked when it gets tough if I want an epidural. And without taking off that monitor around my waist all of the time. :censored: I was VERY territorial during pg and l&d. I would be much more comfortable at home. My child would probably have a much safer outcome if I'm relaxed. I am not relaxed in a hospital setting.

Luckily, Ontario recognizes that home births are cheaper and safer for healthy pg's. So it's covered by OHIP. They followed how most European countries run births. Most births are attended by a midwife in Europe and have much lower c/s rates. If dr's are so concerned about being sued, they should help provide more safe alternatives that avoid interventions and are less costly. The less interventions, the less likely things will go wrong. Midwives are excellent at avoiding needing interventions by helping mothers manage their labour. It seems that OB/GYNS and nurses only have very basic Lamaze training.

My friends and family back home in England really don't understand why most births are attended by OB/GYNS over here. It's not like all births are high risk. Just a few. I noticed someone was concerned about mess? What are you talking about? The midwives and their assistant clean it up and put a load in the machine for you. Yuck! Why would they leave that mess for a new mother? They don't leave new mothers in the hospital in the mess that they gave birth in. That's gross! In addition, about safety, the time it takes to prep OR is the same time it takes to get to the emergency room or get a hold of you OB/GYN anyway. My dd was almost out when my OB/GYN was getting her gloves on despite being at the hospital for 29 hours. If that wasn't plenty of warning then what more does an OB/GYN need? Besides, most emergencies can be taken care of by the midwife. Midwives also have excellent track records recognizing early on when it's something that they cannot control. They're not just some person picked up off the street that's been trained in basic CPR. They are professionals.

More
14 years 6 months ago #2769 by Laramisa
I had my baby in a hospital in Europe that encouraged a natural birth. Some people have home births around here but for myself I liked this option- support for a natural birth within a hospital in case things go wrong.
I think everybody has a midwife. I was attended by two midwives (due to shift change). Plus I had different friends coming and going in shifts to hold my hand and provide support. (My now-ex was out of town on business and the baby was a month premature so he wasn't there). My OB only came in to say hello briefly, how's it going, you're doing great and was nearby if there were any problems. She was also there just in time to catch the baby.
They had all the latest options for natural birth (water bathes, those funny rotating chairs etc...), but if you asked for an epidural it was available. During labor I was walking around most of the time or leaning over- whatever was comfortable. Most people attended a birth preparation class weekly for the few months before the birth sponsored by the hospital (they call it gymnastics), where they teach you the breathing techniques and most comfortable positions and exercises. After the birth a week of recovery gymnastics is included.

More
14 years 6 months ago #2770 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Dental-Mom:
Like letting the mom walk, stand...and support her choice of no drugs?

Denta mom.

I had my daughter at Duke and I had every available child birth option available to me.I chose to get the epidural and walked a LOT to get the labor moving. In the end, my labor was induced because I stated to leak meconium (sp?).

On another note,I absolutely HATE the term "natural" birth as if using all that technology has provided to help women at birth is "unatural". :mad: Would anyone advise having a "natural" brain surgery? Or a "natural" leg amputation? You know they used to do it that way in the good ol days. :rolleyes:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
14 years 6 months ago #2771 by Doc201X
Althoguh I absolutely LOVED being pregnant withmy daughter,I think I've changed my mind about having ANY more kids after reading this thread. With time you almost forget just how serious having a baby really is. :boggled:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!