× General Discussion

natural birth

More
14 years 3 months ago #2778 by Doc201X

Originally posted by white_feather:
Again, I think the question we need to ask ourselves, as scientific minded people, is what is going on differently at home that the outcomes are so phenomenal when compared to hospital birth?

As a SCIENTIST, I don't feel compelled at all to ask myself this question. Why??? BECAUSE I DON"T CARE HOW PHENOMENAL HOME BIRTH IS, IT'S NOT FOR ME unless it's unavoidable!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2779 by white_feather
Path - this isn't about you. It's about public policy and what doctors recommend to their patients. I honestly couldn't care less what you choose for yourself.

But as women, we deserve to know what our REAL options are -- ALL of them. Even if we don't choose ALL of them.

As scientists, doctors, and feminists, we need to make sure that women have access to evidence-based care, evidence-based professional opinions, and evidence-based public policy.

It's not about you.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2780 by Doc201X

Originally posted by white_feather:
It's not about you.

No ****e sherlock! :rolleyes:

I have no problem having intelligent debates about women's health issues but when people like you try to slyly insinuate that not doing what YOU think is superior reflects on a person's intellect and ability to make rational decisions about their OWN heath CHOICES, I get pissed. So there it is.

Evidenced-based medicine? Evidence based my arse. As a former epidemiologist, I can't tell you how severly flawed so many medical studies REALLY are. Not to mention the conflict of interest between the person sponsoring the study and the person(s) conducting it. In SOME situations the best "evidenced based medicine" is whatever feels right for you.

And BTW, it ain't about you either! :p

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
14 years 3 months ago #2781 by white_feather
I would sincerely appreciate if you could repost for me where I "slyly insinuated" that a hospital birth reflects on a person's intellect and rationality.

I have overtly stated that modern obstetric practice is generally not evidence based - however, as I'm sure you're aware, the corollary to that is NOT that homebirth is "smarter" and women who hosital birth make dumb decisions. In fact, I've flat out stated that homebirth is not for everyone. However, if I said otherwise, please show me where so I can clear things up.

It may shock you to know that I will also advocate for a woman's right to choose a non-medical elective c-section. So, I tend to doubt that I have "slyly insinuated" anything about a woman who chooses hospital birth. My interest is far more about evidence based care and a woman's right to make all decisions as long as she's educated about them.

Do you feel that if homebirth is acknowledged as a perfectly safe way of birthing, that it somehow compromises the choices you made? What if this was a thread about elective c-sections? Would you also feel that my advocating for a woman's right to choose a high intervention birth (and when I prove the safety of that) would you also read that as an affront to your own private birth choices?

More
14 years 3 months ago #2782 by white_feather
I was just thinking that maybe you're reading my message wrong, because you don't quite understand why I care so much.

It's important to me that women have choices.

In many states in the US, women do NOT have a legal choice to homebirth. It is either illegal or alegal. Homebirth may not be an option for some women b/c insurance companies won't pay for it. That's not to mention the many women who long for a VBAC, but who's local OB's only offer repeat c-section. If homebirth isn't available, many of these women are having unassisted births at home. If homebirth midwives aren't protected by law, they may not be able to carry emergency equipment to the birth. Many women are forced or coerced into a hospital birth (and even c-section) because their choices are not protected.

There are huge powerful lobbying organizations (ie. ACOG) who spend lots of money to make sure that women don't have a legal right to birth at home.

Not only is their opinion not evidence based, but they are also missing the opportunity to learn from the successes of midwifery and apply it to obstetrics, so that overall, more women could benefit -- whether it be at the hospital, birth center, or in the home.

Midwifery has clearly taken lessons and improved it's practice as a result of obstetric knowledge. However, obstetricians generally don't value midwifery knowledge (how can a midwife with her inferior education possibly teach an obstetrician anything?) and patients subsequently suffer with more traumatic birth experiences than necessary.

So my argument is two-fold. That homebirth is safe and needs to be protected by law, and professional opinion. Secondly, that obstetric practice can be improved by learning midwifery techniques.

This has nothing to do with how any individual woman chooses to birth. No matter what our birth choices are, our clinicians owe us the best, most evidence-based options available.

That's my point.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!