× General Discussion

natural birth

More
14 years 5 months ago #2748 by mischa90
Well I've never been one to go with the flow, so I say, as long as you have a healthy prgnancy you should do it at home, esp. if it is your first. It would be hard to do with another little one running around. I had both kids with a midwife at a hospital, all natural, no meds. My first was a waterbirth and I definitely recommend it. Labor is horribly painful, but I feel like I went through a rite of passage, a true marker of the irreversible change(s) in my life. I didn't have a bad experience at the hospital or anything, but I just think it would have been nice to be at home and not have to deal with all the hospital business. Good luck whatever you choose!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2749 by DrRissa
My goodness this is a depressing thread. :(

Aren't physicians supposed to be open minded, diverse people? No one here seems to be. This is so frustrating about the 'moms' on this board. :( I'd hate for a physician to tell me to not trust my body, that I need to be drugged to give birth. The c-section rate in the US is way too high already.

Why must birth in healthy women be managed like some sort of surgery? Birth is natural.

I had my first in the hospital, with an epidural. No complications. Not the birth I wanted, but alright. Second, natural at home in water. ZERO complications. In fact, I birthed so fast that my midwife wasn't there yet, so it was 100% unassisted. I was more relaxed at home, most women are. Most empowering moment of my life. Because I did that, it encouraged me more to be a physician.

Had I needed to be transfered, it would've taken the same ammount of time from my house to hospital in the ambulance as it would've taken the Dr to get the OR room set up anyways. This is a fact at my hospital.

There are many risks with having a highly managed birth, if you are a healthy woman. OB's are better off for high risk pregnancies.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2750 by mommd2b
I used to feel like you do...until I had a 'natural' birth turn into an emergency that I hadn't anticpated...well, of course no one had. The cord was wrapped around my daughter's neck and her heart rate dipped seriously. It took the doc long enough to get there that he didn't even get to put on something over his street clothes and my daughter was born with an apgar of 3. After being 'resuscitated' and letting 10 minutes pass, she had an apgar of only 7.

She is now 9 years old and has some learning disabilities...I ask myself regulary if it had something to do with the birth and wish that I had made different choices.

Yes, giving birth is a natural part of life...but then again, so are illness and death if you think about it...most women end up giving birth and we all end up dying at some point from some sort of disease or aging process. But...when things go wrong in the world of labor and delivery they can go wrong very fast. It's a risk you are taking.

My next delivery was also textbook...until I hemmorhaged on the table and had to be taken in for emergency surgery. If I had been at home, I would have died...and the baby might have died too.

No one anticipated any complications with my delieveries...I was young, healthy and had had completely normal, complication-free pregnancies.

food for thought,

kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2751 by MTaylor

This is so frustrating about the 'moms' on this board. I'd hate for a physician to tell me to not trust my body, that I need to be drugged to give birth.

I'm not trying to be closed minded...but I just have an unwavering opinion about this. Do I support your right to have your baby at home? Absolutely. Would I? Not by choice.

Also, I'm not in the habit of telling people/patients what *they* should and shouldn't do with their lives. I advise...especially when asked. I share my POV, and that's what I'm doing here. This is what I do when a patient asks my opinion. And when they don't, I inform them of the risks/benefits...and then support whatever decision they make. So, no need to be offended by "the moms" or "the doctors" on this board for expressing their opinions (opinions based on their own experiences)...just because they are different from your own. Don't be the pot calling the kettle...

I have seen too many "perfectly healthy" deliveries go wrong. And once you see (what you would consider) a senseless death secondary to a home birth...it affects you. And you wonder why...why would anybody chance this??

I agree...natural isn't always the outcome we want. Death is natural...even in childbirth at times. Complications are natural. I'm in the business of making things "better than natural."

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
14 years 5 months ago #2752 by finallydoc
My thoughts exactly.

Once you work in the medical field and you realize that 99% complication free means that there's a 1% chance of complications, and that that 1% DOES happen, you also realize that you could be that 1%. I am going to guess that DrRissa has not spent a lot time watching non-smokers get diagnosed with lung cancer or healthy women with perfect pregnancies hemorrhage to death because their uterus does not clamp down after delivery. It doesn't happen very often at all, but the possbility exists.

All we are saying in this thread is that for us, home birth is not the choice we would make. I give my patients the information I have and then they make their own choices, sometimes not the same one I would. Physicians don't tell their patients what to do, they inform their patients so that they can make an educated decision. In the end, If you don't like a physician's bedside manner you can always change doctors.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2753 by Dental-Mom
Dr Rissa, it's Ok to think different. That's what makes the world more beautiful. Not every woman is ready for labor, no matter the reason--we also feel pain different. Always remember that. I hate epidurals, but would never make feel bad another woman for using it. I'm not a stronger woman for not wanting it. My body feels pain different.

Times have changed. Whay don't you walk to work? It's natural!

Like mommd2b said, no one can anticipate what's going to happen. You were VERY lucky.

My local hospital wants the mothers to feel as comfortable as possible.

I hate to think becuase of the moms comfort, the baby will pay a very high price.

We don't live like women 100 years ago, and we certanly don't eat healthy like people used to.

I'd have loved to have my children at home if a witch had told me that everyting 100% was going to be fine.

I rather be uncomfortable than having my babies at home.

One of my friends had 13 children all natural at home. What does she thinks about hospitals? Thank God they excist because you never know what's going to happen!

Birth is not about power. It's about love and becoming a mom.

Dental mom, both pregnancies were high risk. I have had 3 OB and 2 midwife.

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!