× General Discussion

Second Degrees- How are they viewed?

More
16 years 8 months ago #3327 by Confused future Physician
I have question for you ladies. How do med schools view an individual with a second degree? Is it looked down upon or does it demonstrate some type of determination? I am curious to see what you think or perhaps someone can share some experiences they have had. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3328 by ladysurg
I think it shows you trulywant to be the best you can be and you are determined to make it. My 2 cents.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3329 by Confused future Physician
Thanks for the response. It seemed like no one really cared. Just trying to get the thoughts of others. Thanks again

More
16 years 8 months ago #3330 by rockfever
I geuss it all depends on what you mean by second degree. many peopel have a career before med school. for example i have masters degree in archietcture and am an archietct and appleid ot med school.they did ask me if i was going to stay in architecture if i didn't get in to med school. I do not plan to. You have to show htt you are comitted to changing careers.
If you mean a seocnd degree int he sciences then i thinkt hat only helps you unelss you do poorly. it shows a loong term committment to science.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3331 by lori
In my opinion, a second degree shows your determination to make it to med school. I am not too sure you actually need a second degree, however. My degree was in Criminal Justice before I decided to go back for my pre-reqs. Do you really need that second degree? I know money is often an issue with many of us. I will tell you what I was planning on doing if things did not work out for me by just getting "the basic minimum" in order to get in. I was planning on returning for my masters in the PA program. The only thing I was lacking was the 600 clinical hours. I really believe that med schools like this. It shows them your dedication towards your goal. I actually think it maybe be something that helped get me in. Just my opinion.

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!