× General Discussion

Un employed non-boarded physician!

More
2 weeks 7 hours ago #140853 by Eugenia McGarry
HI ,

I had difficulty figuring out the posting. I am a nearly 78 year old mother of 1. He was 2 when I began medical school. I switched specialties from Peds to Family Medicine because I didn't like private Ped practice back then. I was on call 24/7 working a parttime job to support us. Now I cannot find any work while midlevels have plenty of work. I have been looking for 10 mos and am running out of money. Can't find any locums which I have been doing for 12years. I am at the end of my ropes. Certainly can't find a residency at my age and I have no marks against me. Any suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #140855 by sahmd
Hi Eugenia, I'm sorry you are in that situation. It is becoming more difficult for non-boarded physicians to get jobs, and of course getting boarded was not as much of a priority back when you were finishing your education/training, especially for those with young children to take care of. And people are not supposed to be discriminating based on age, but I think they do anyway. And there are the mid-levels who are now doing work that once would have been done by physicians. But none of that means that you are not capable of doing the work you want to do. You just need to find someone to give you a chance.

Have you tried urgent cares? Occupational health? Have you tried applying for jobs that are being advertised to midlevels? Maybe they would rather have a physician. Do you have any connections from your prior locums jobs? Maybe they have heard of openings. They might also know of other places people can go to look for jobs (online, I would imagine). Have you looked at underserved communities (inner cities, reservations, etc.)? These jobs might be less desirable and they might pay less than what you've been getting, but at least it would be something.

The other part of the equation would be financial: what to do when income from work is absent or unpredictable. I'm no expert, but I guess that would involve things like downsizing your living situation, minimizing expenses, making sure you're getting all the government assistance to which you're entitled, withdrawing more from retirement accounts if possible, liquidating assets if possible, asking for help from family, etc. I think a lot of times mothers are at a disadvantage in the so-called retirement years because they have not been in a position to put as much money away as people who were able to work full time without interruption.

There are surely more qualified people who can address both the employment and the financial aspects of your question, but hopefully I have mentioned something you haven't thought of already. I hope everything works out for you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elitej

More
1 week 5 days ago #140856 by Eugenia McGarry
I have been in contact with at least a dozen locum agencies and have sent applications to all available openings in Spokane where I live now. Have not even received the courtesy of a reply to my application from Providence Hospital, the Regional health dept or the state hospital. I have not ruled out traveling across country. I have similar friends, all women over 60 who are having difficulty finding jobs and they are boarded. Perhaps it is an age-related phenomenon. Some potential employers specify that their applicants be only 5 years out of residency.

I am hurting financially.
Eugenia McGarry (Genie)

More
1 week 4 days ago #140857 by sahmd

Eugenia McGarry wrote: Some potential employers specify that their applicants be only 5 years out of residency.

Wow! I wonder how they can get away with that? Well, hopefully there are others out there who will value your experience instead. A career counselor once told me that when you are a non-traditional applicant (for whatever reason), it becomes a numbers game. You have to put yourself out there again and again by applying for tons of positions, and try not to feel discouraged by individual rejections.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!