× General Discussion

Applied exam at the same time as my due date!

More
4 months 10 hours ago #140989 by MommytobeMD
I am a recently graduated anesthesiologist who is taking the applied exam in October. I recently learned I am pregnant and that my due date is too close to the exam date for me travel to North Carolina for the exam.
I am on a waitlist for an earlier spot, but if The ABA cannot accommodate me, I will be charged $1750 to cancel my exam due to my pregnancy. Keep in mind the exam itself costs $2250 and I now have other expenses to think about. Is this legal? This is an unavoidable circumstance due to a medical condition. I just don’t understand how other doctors can exploit young physicians so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #140990 by sahmd
First of all, congratulations!

I am not a lawyer, but that doesn't sound legal to me! I would try to appeal to someone higher up in the ABA than the person who told you about this cancellation fee. It seems like another reasonable solution would be to reschedule you for a later exam. There is plenty of time for them to do that and put someone else in your October spot. You could also get a lawyer's help, but that will cost money, too. Or maybe one of the faculty from your residency has some contacts within ABA and can help resolve this situation. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elitej

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!