× General Discussion

hi guy,i have a question,please help me!

More
6 months 1 week ago #141088 by handsome09
Hi, all! I'm new here, so I'll give a brief intro. I graduated with a BA in Psychology/Neuroscience from an ivy league in 2001, and completed all the premed requirements since med school was my plan at the time. I also took the MCAT in 2001 and got a 32, not that it matters at this point! Haha
I worked in research during undergrad and right after, including some amazing internships - one with a former surgeon general, and one doing stem cell research at Harvard. I also did a fair amount of shadowing and volunteering at hospitals.

Then I switched gears and had 9 kids in 12 years. No, really. :lol: I have 4 daughters and 5 sons - right now their ages are 14, 12, 11, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3, and almost 2. Obviously my family is very important to me! But now that we're done having kids and are looking ahead to the next chapter, I am thinking more and more about my own goals and what I want to do when my kids are grown, etc.

My plan is to go back to school when my youngest is in kindergarten, so fall of 2019. I'll be 38 at that point! My dream job would be a combination of research and clinical (probably neuro). I know an MD/PhD program takes a really long time, but that's actually one of the things I like about it. The clinical years and residency wouldn't start until my youngest is 10-12, and by then at least three of the kids will be in college. And obviously the tuition coverage is appealing since we already have a fair amount of student loans, but really I want the training from both degrees! My husband is theoretically supportive, but he works about 50 hours/week and I wouldn't plan on leaning on him during daylight hours. There's also the possibility of help from my mom, who is basically begging to come live with us, haha..

I know if I refreshed some prereqs, did some current volunteering/shadowing, and killed the MCAT, I could have a shot at an MD or DO acceptance. But do schools even consider older MD/PhD candidates? Isn't the idea that they want to create the 'next generation' of brilliant young scientists and whatnot? Any advice on MD/PhD admissions in general? I guess I'd need to get back into a research lab ASAP, but do I really need to publish before applying?

For anyone who has done (or is doing) an MD/PhD program, are the PhD years flexible in terms of hours in class/lab? I've heard MS1 and MS2 are somewhat flexible, but obviously very demanding. Are the PhD years similar?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #141091 by efex101
Yes, medical schools do you consider older students for both the MD, and the MD PhD pathway. I would highly encourage you to pursue your passions, as I started medical school in 2004 and at that time I was 38 years old. So don’t worry, as there are definitely older students out there pursuing their dreams. Good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!