× General Discussion

How to choose med shool?

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #141164 by holdingfire20
I was thinking about how it is so unrealistic to expect college students to decide what they want to do with their lives. In a lot of ways, if one wants to get into medical school, one has to pick the right classes from day one of freshman year at (18 years) with the ultimate goal being, become a doctor, (with no side tracks) at about 30-something.
That's crazy!
How is anyone supposed to know what will really make them happy in life? And how do you know it will not change in the next 5-10 years?
This is the aspect of the medical school journey that I struggle with the most, more than physics and everything else...
any thoughts? anyone in a similar boat? :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #141165 by sahmd
I think those are really important questions. And there will be different answers for everybody. Some people do know for sure at 18, based on life experiences. Everyone else has to figure it out for themselves. It's good that there are so many things that you are expected to do before committing -- taking lots of science classes and volunteering in a real-world medical setting -- so that you can see whether you still like medicine and if you are good at it. But some things are harder to predict, like what will happen if you start a family someday, although you can control that to some extent.

I can't tell you how to figure it out for yourself, although I know you are not alone. Is there something in particular that makes you think you will not like medicine, or that you will like something else better? Or do you just want to be sure before you make such a big commitment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!