× General Discussion

Pediatric rotation after pregnancy loss. Advice?

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #141190 by LuckyLzzy
Hi, everyone! I could really use some advice or even a pep talk. I sadly lost my first pregnancy several months ago at 9 weeks. I know that I did not have a chance to process my loss since it happened while I was intensive studying for step 1 and my priority then was just getting through each day. Now that I am several months out and in rotations, I am finding it really difficult to get through my peds rotation because I am triggered every time I see a newborn. I'm able to get through the encounter without crying, but I'm honestly not getting much out of my experience since my energy is spent on keeping my composure in front of my patients instead of learning. I am only a few days in and I don't know how I am going to get through the next four weeks, particularly my week in the mother-infant unit. Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you handle it? I realize I have some long term emotional work to do, but does anyone have any advice on how to get through this in the short term?

And for anyone that has been through this, I am so sorry for your loss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #141191 by sahmd
I'm very sorry for your loss :'( And I'm sorry you are on this rotation that is causing you such distress. :(

I guess you have two choices at this point: getting through this rotation or switching to a completely different rotation. I don't know if the latter is an option, but I'm sure people would be willing to switch with you if they knew what had happened (if you feel comfortable sharing that). Regardless, I hope you are able to talk to somebody with some expertise in helping people after pregnancy loss. You are probably already doing that, but if not, maybe your OB or your primary could recommend somebody?

I wish I had a better answer for your question. I do hope that things get better soon. (((hugs)))

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!