× General Discussion

Pregnant during M2, need some advice. Thank you in advance!

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #141214 by Jule
I just began my second year and recently found our that I am pregnant. This pregnancy was a surprise... I am 23 and not married, but I do have an amazing boyfriend who will be there to support us physically, emotionally and financially along the way.

At this time I do not have a game plan for what I am going to do as far as medical school and Step 1. I will be due during the period in which my school sets aside dedicated STEP preparation for the students. We also schedule and take the exam during this period.

I have two concerns right now:
1) When should I plan to take STEP? I could push myself to take it a couple weeks before I am due or join the next year's class and have plenty of time to study but with an infant.
2) How should I approach the school administration? What kind of response do you think I should expect? What accommodations should I ask for?

If anyone has had any similar experiences or any advice for me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #141220 by goatmom
Congratulations. I had a baby about the same time during my second year. I decided to wait a year to take Step 1 because my husband was also taking Step 1 and someone had to focus on the baby. It worked out well for us. If you could take it before the baby is due - that sounds like a good plan. How to approach the school? They should be used to students getting pregnant and how to deal with it. I don't remember that being an issue. I did not ask for any accommodations but I had a routine pregnancy. Not sure what accommodations you would need. I had pretty bad morning sickness so I did make sure I sat close to the door nearest the restroom during the early months of the pregnancy! Best of luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elitej

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!