× General Discussion

Work during med school?

More
10 years 7 months ago #4317 by rnmd?
I am taking pre-reqs now and will apply in 2 years, and we MAY be TTC soon. DH was always on board with me quitting my well paying job as a nurse for med school (I'm still working now)but lately he's been saying I need to work 16hrs/wk in order for us to survive. He understands if it doesn't work, etc., but thinks I should at least try, since I make alot more than he does (almost $30/hr). Has anyone (esp. nurses) successfully worked during med school? with a child? Any reading I should direct him to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4318 by Melbelle
I don't have any experience in this since I'm still an undergrad, but it sounds like you would rather not work, so I thought I'd tell you that I'm with you on that. I've always worked while going to school. I've been in and out of school for the past 10 years, sometimes full-time, sometimes part-time, but I've always worked.

That said, there is no way I'm working in medical school. I'm taking out loans. Lots and lots of loans. Debt is not ideal, but medical school sounds stressful enough on its own, let alone with a husband, then a child, ... then a job?

I'd put it to him this way - if you make it through medical school, you'll be making enough to pay off the loans. If you overburden yourself and don't make it, you'll be making $30 an hour for the rest of your life. Tell him you'll make it up to him later. He just has to wait and see. ;)

More
10 years 7 months ago #4319 by rnmd?
I wouldn't mind working a few days a month, but it seems like most people don't and have a hard time of it without working.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4320 by Melbelle
You're probably right. While I sound very set in my position, I'm hoping to see some people with experience in this chime in. Maybe a few days a month wouldn't be that bad.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4321 by LauraMD
I worked weekends during med school for the first two years. Third year and beyond it's pretty much impossible as your schedule is so full. Good luck!

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

More
10 years 7 months ago #4322 by DocM
While I did not work during medschool, I think it would be feasible to work some amount - weekends during 1st year, maybe second ( which I found harder) as LauraMD mentioned, depending on the job. I had one friend, a nurse, who occasionally picked up a shift here or there, and another a pharmacist who did the same. but definitely not 16 hours/ week. At my school, 4th year was actually pretty cushy and these people who had previous careers often did considerably more"moonlighting" during fourth year.

The big issue I see is that you MAY be TTC. I think medschool, baby and 16/week of nursing is too much to tackle. I wouldn't make any plans dependent on you working that many hours during med school if a baby is in the picture.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!