× General Discussion

Terri Schiavo, what would you do?

More
14 years 8 months ago #4373 by weirdo
Not only are the politicians using this to their own advantage, but I really don't think with all their other duties that they could possibly have read enough of the record in this extremely long case to warrant their involvement in it. They are stepping in and making important decisions for other people on things they really don't know anything about. Would I hire a lawyer to make medical decisions for me? Uhh, NO! They need to get back to work on the problems we elected them to fix.

Oh, and I don't know if this is true or not, but his side is saying that it's not about the money b/c he has been offered over a million dollars (from various sources) to give up and let her family take over. However, he has refused those offers b/c (according to him) this isn’t about money but fulfilling his wife's wishes (which are now quite removed from all this, unfortunately).

Anyway, we all know now, thanks to this family's incredibly sad story, that conversations aren't enough. You never know if your family will be able to let go of you if this happens b/c emotions will be running high. To save our loved ones confusion, heartache, and guilt, we should put our wishes in writing so that there will be no question and no difficult choices for them to make.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #4374 by PremedRN
Drey,
I do see your point and I personally would still have to disagree. I believe that law cannot but attempts to do away with the natural and biological kinship that parents and children have. Not any man can in all actuality superceed that. The fact is, however, the law makes it the spouse's decision.

Throughout my 3 decades of life, I have seen many things. The very man a woman (or vice versa)thought loved her whole self down to her soul has turned out to be the cause of her death for stupid things. It happens all the time. This is part of the reason why I am more on the side of parents making such decisions. That is not say parents cannot be caniving and deceitful--that happens too just not as much as the other.

Some parents would rather someone else make the decision such as the spouse in that way they do not have such a burder of making a life or death decsion. I would want my mother (my only parent) to make that decision, not my spouse and if she didnt want to, well, I guess at that point I would want my spouse to. But mom comes first.

The best question to ask at this point would be:

Is her life or death being prolonged?

More
14 years 8 months ago #4375 by bottombillion
I'm ashamed to be part of a society and of a medical system that would prolong this woman's life. I hope no ever makes me stay "alive" --for whatever the reason...their own wishes for me, political agenda, financail gain, whatever. When did medical intervention become the answer to everything? Why are Americans so afriad of death?

That being said....5000 people die EVERY DAY from TB...a preventable and treatable disease. AIDS, lack of access to affordable healthcare, inability to pay for outrageously priced medication, social disparities that impact health, genocide, human rights violations, violance against women, child trafficking, the list can go on and on. Why isn't the media talking about these issues????

It's easier to get polarized around this issue, to want a quick answer that makes us all feel better, and to ignore all the rest while we sit here in America with our blinders on.

Whew...my two cents sounds pretty cynical! Where is that delete button??? :twocents:

More
14 years 8 months ago #4376 by bottombillion
35,000 people starve to death EACH DAY. Check out the WHO statistics. Of course, that does not erase what is happening to Terri Shavio. But why don't we care about the other 34,999?

More
14 years 8 months ago #4377 by fearlessphoenix
Terry Shiavo passed away this morning. May she find peace, may her family begin to heal, may our country begin a civil conversation. :ouch:

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!