× General Discussion

About tipping

More
12 years 7 months ago #4397 by Baby Einstein
When you order to go, how much do you tip the waitress who brings the bag to your car? It's the first time I've done that (we rarely eat out, and when we do we stay at the restaurant) and I was puzzled about how much to tip. So I asked her and (of course) she told me that people usually tip as much for to-go as they do for regular service, sitting in the restaurant. Well, that would have been $12 to bring a bag of food to my car! Considering she serves a good 20 customers an hour, that's jackpot for her! I want her job!!!

I left 10% and still left feeling like it was waaaayyyyy too much. Am I too stingy? Is my hubby rubbing off on me?? ;) I'm just annoyed at tipping in general and how it is expected that we tip generously no matter how poor the service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #4398 by phillymedschoolmom
Well, after waiting tables, which I hated - I now tip 20% at the table and thank my lucky stars that I am no longer doing that, and 10% for takeout.

Keep in mind, not everyone tips generously in the first place...the tax law in MN was they expected you to make 8% of your sales in tips, and most people (not me, I was not the best at it) did a little better than that, but not that much (average was about 10%). This depends a lot on the place, do they serve alcohol? do they have busboys? because you have to tip out the bartender and the busboys from your tips too, since part of your tip is for the overall service.

Also, not all states ( many actually) don't even have to pay minimum wage for waiting tables, they expect you to make up the difference in tips, so the base pay for waiting tables can be something under $5/hour. (Min wage is still only 5.15 an hour, BTW). I pay my babysitters more than that!

If the service is bad, don't tip as much. The tip is supposed to be for doing a good job (although, the government doesn't tax you that way).

But, I don't usually pay my full 20% tip for takeout. I do pay 10%. But, what about pizza delivery? That one still has me stumped.

More
12 years 7 months ago #4399 by mommd2b
I'm not sure about the take-out thing either. I *think* I probably would have ended up not tipping just because I didn't know any better.

Here's a fun page about the pizza thing though:

www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

More
12 years 7 months ago #4400 by Baby Einstein
See, I do tip about 20% for pizza, but pizza is cheap and they are bringing it to your house. Take out is just putting it in a bag and bringing it to my car which is parked about 5 feet from her station...

OK I'm glad 10% for take-out was reasonable. I do leave 20% at the table if service was good (they are paid below minimal wage here), more if it was exceptional, less if it was poor (and I get evil looks then).

More
12 years 7 months ago #4401 by twinkle
:eek: Does tipping apply when you order and then wait in the restaurant for take out? I never realized that people actually tip for take out as well.

More
12 years 7 months ago #4402 by goaskjen
I currently work at a restaurant while I'm in undergrad school. The place I work out has a car-side to go. We either have the bartender (who makes a whopping $4/hour, which is still more than my $2.31) or the car-side person (who only works during busy hours that the bar can't run food). The car-side person only makes a little over minimum wage. Many people do not tip for car-side. My opinion is 10%. I also believe that 20% to your server is appropriate (or more if he/she was spectacular). I don't believe you should tip less than 10% EVER, even if the service wasn't good. Serving is a difficult job and many people work double shifts to make ends meet. Unfortunately, you won't always get the best service from someone if they have worked 12 hours each day for two or three days in a row. Also, if the food is wrong, chances are it isn't the server's fault at all. Generally it is the cook's fault. Ok, end rant. Sorry, I really enjoy serving, but I can not stand when people come in and stiff me just because one little thing was wrong with their food that I couldn't even control. :) Carry on...

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat." -Unknown

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!