× General Discussion

About tipping

More
12 years 6 months ago #4403 by SAHMdoc
What about if you get take-out and pick it up yourself? We used to do this at Applebee's- walk in the restaurant and pick the food up either at the bar or at the front. Is a tip necessary here? I always thought this was more akin to a drive-thru window, where it never even occurred to me to tip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #4404 by Baby Einstein
It wouldn't have occurred to me either except that I paid by credit card, so the tip line was there for me to fill. I was surprised, asked the waitress, and she told me in so many words that, yes, people are expected to tip (she did say it in a nice way...).

More
12 years 6 months ago #4405 by goaskjen
Well, Applebee's is where I work and we have car-side. I don't think a tip would be necessary if you pick it up at the bar. If I were working the bar, I wouldn't expect it at least.

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat." -Unknown

More
12 years 6 months ago #4406 by Allison
I've been a waitress since I was 15 (until very recently) and I always tip A MINIMUN of 20% for good sevice, usually more as I have kids that can be a little messy. For pizza always 20% if it's correct and for take out, usually 5 bucks if they didnt do much. That being said, in Fl, servers make 3.13/hr and recently it was 2.13/hr.
and i would say it depends on what and where you're gettiing food i worked the overnight at a denny's, glamourous i know, and people would come in and order food to go, drinks and all. I was the only server on and I actually had to do much more for these orders than i did my eat in guests all while these people were taking my time away from my other guests and about 98% DID NOT tip for take out. now, i hate to sterotype but this was a denny's....I was a really good, nice server but to this day I rarely get good service in a denny's and i guess the servers there have to deal with the stigma of being a dennys server.

just my 2c.

Allison

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein

More
12 years 6 months ago #4407 by Jeckle
Wow, someone said they make $2.31, that shocked me! Minimum wage in California is $6.75! I have friends who work as servers (Denny's) and to go window people (McDonald's), and none of them has ever made less than minimum wage even when starting out with absolutely no experience. How do they get away with paying you less than minimum wage??? That's why its called the minimum. :confused:

I've never tipped to go people. I've never even heard of tipping them. :confused: We don't tip to eat in for fast food either. I'm pretty sure they're actually not even allowed to accept tips. Is this just a California thing??? The pizza guy gets a tip, but he actually drives to you, you didn't have to spend money on gas or anything.

To be, or not to be...a doctor. That is the question.

More
12 years 6 months ago #4408 by JN819
I bartended for 7 years in NYC and I can tell you first hand that you have to tip EVERYONE!!!! Usually there is a minimum $3 service charge.
But I wouldnt tip for pick up, they are walking to ur car, 10 feet from where they stand all day. They are not delivery people and therefore get paid differently.

But always tip your bartender ;) bc then ur drinks will come quick and wont be watered down.

On a side note, I once had a guy ordered over $100 worth of various mixed drinks( not just jack and coke...there was blue long island ice tea, red devil etc..) for all the girls surrounding him, tried to pick me up, then left me a $2 tip!!!!
I spent about 5 minutes just on him and his 10 something drinks, meanwhile i had a full bar and people waiting for 15 minutes just to get close to my bar, not even order (typical NYC club. Needless to say next time he came around to order one drink...he wound up being last to be served..and lets just say his drink didnt really have much of what he wanted in there :)

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!