× General Discussion

What are you reading now?

More
14 years 4 months ago #4448 by sargasso
The harry potter thread inspried me to find out what everyone is reading besides HP or medical textbooks. :) I have always read alot and in medical shcool foudn time to still read. i think it was a coping mechanism. i would take breaks and read or read during lunch.
I just finsihed reading 72 hour hold by Bebe Moore campbell which is about a woman dealing with her daughter's bipolar disease. it was decent. before that i read genevieve by erik jerome dickey. it was boring but i stuck with it until the end and it was a shocker! i also read a few books by karen kingsbury and Gary smalley.
SO what books are you reading and/ or what do you recomend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #4449 by lawtomd
I'm just a pre-med, but I only read nonfiction. I haven't read a single fiction book since college, but I try to read a couple of nonfiction books per month. Right now I'm reading, "Don't Know Much About History," a book about American history (a survey) and last month I read "The Working Poor." My next book will be "Fabric of the Cosmos." My favorite genres are science, sociology/anthropology, art history, history, and current affairs.

More
14 years 4 months ago #4450 by shelby2000
I am currently reading two books, "The Friendship Crisis" by Marla Paul and "Fearless Living" by Rhonda Britten, the life coach from "Starting Over." I would recommend any of Rhonda's books because she makes you feel like you can do anything. I just bought her book on cd called "Change Your Life in 30 Days" that I will listen to on an upcoming vacation. I just finished Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone" and would highly recommend it.

More
14 years 4 months ago #4451 by merri
I'm on a WIM kick right now - I read 1) Lovestrong by Dorothy Greenbaum (a nontrad mom who leaves teaching to become a doctor) - non fic, out of print. 2) Walking out on the Boys by Frances Conley (first female tenured prof of neurosurgery at Stanford - about sexual harassement - surprising what was still going on in the 90s - opened my eyes.) - nonfic. 3) Stiff - by (dunno, it's upstairs) - curious life of cadavers (ok not WIM...), and 4) Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Remen - this is next on my list. Well... now I'm taking time off from reading.... need to WRITE my secondaries. :D

More
14 years 4 months ago #4452 by Setzer
Right now I am reading two books. "Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dahli Lama" which is really interesting. I just got back from working with Tibetan refugees in India so this book has lots of relevance for me. But its a good read and very informative. Gives a good history of Tibet and their occupation by China.

I am also reading "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. This is a weird book. Its fiction but very political. Its about how "civilization" is destroying the Earth and ultimatly the human race. Or at least that's what I think its about. Its confusing.

I also just read "Mountains Beyond Mountains: The True Story of Dr. Paul Farmer." This is a very inspiring book about Dr. Framer who sets up a clinic in Hati. Its an excellent read for anyone in the medical profession.

"Like Water for Chocolate" and "100 Years of Solitude" are my favorite books and I highly recommend them.

More
14 years 4 months ago #4453 by flashMD
Ditto to Merri...

I just read Stiff and Kitchen Table Wisdom...

Am now reading:

1. On Call (Transue)
2. We are all the Same (Jim Wooten)
3. Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

and various cruddy "summer reads" before starting class again soon!

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!