× General Discussion

Decontamination

More
10 years 7 months ago #4908 by rydys
As a resident, I kept everything in my white coat which I hung up in our front hall with everyone else's coats.

Now I keep my stethoscope in the office and am scrupulous about cleaning my hands before I leave. However, I work in the same community that I live in so I figure that my kids are being exposed to the same stuff I'm seeing kids for in my office, anyway. (Some of them are even their classmates!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4909 by kpzr/9145
I always wash my hands one last time right before I leave the office to protect my family. Then I change when I get home. My boys are school aged now so I am not holding or touching them as much anymore. But, I do think about it.

kpzr

More
10 years 7 months ago #4910 by rnmd?
I'm a little crazy about-moreso than I thought. I'm still only a nurse, but since clinicals in nursing school I wipe down my stethoscope like a maniac when I bring it home (to take DH's BP), have "work shoes" that I take off before I step into the apartment (and DH gets embarassed that everyone sees my shoes) and I NEVER took books to the floors-I read in my bed, and I don't want them associating. I also have separate pockets for money/chapstick and another for pens/tape/alcohol swabs/penlight.

I know it's probably overkill, but it makes me feel better!

More
10 years 7 months ago #4911 by Baby Einstein
Wow. I come home after a 30+ hour call, hold my kids while still in my nasty scrubs, sometimes I even collapse in bed without getting to shower. My kids play with my disgusting white coat in the car all the time, my daughter having a predilection for tasting my stethoscope! I guess I should be more careful, huh?

More
10 years 7 months ago #4912 by Popcorn
Nah. You're just practicing dirt theory. You know, the whole clean homes = more asthma stuff. (I don't know what it's really called. I just made that up. But still. Aseptic homes aren't necessarily best. IMHO, at least.)

I don't have kids, but I do know that my dogs slept on my coat a few times in residency.

More
10 years 7 months ago #4913 by babylove
I never leave my whitecoat or stethescope where the baby could reach it.

I usually change my clothes before holding her.

I've been sick with colds/flu/strep/rotavirus about once every 4-8 weeks over my entire 3rd year. It is really annoying. It would be even worse if the baby caught it too.

We have a dog and she goes to daycare, that's plenty of germs without adding TB, swine flu, MRSA, C. Diff to the mix!

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!