× General Discussion

Would you do it over again?

More
12 years 3 months ago #5506 by Cates
I have to say relocating has been the hardest thing I have had to deal with. I can't think of many other jobs (except for the military) that requires that you move in order to achieve your career.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #5507 by ohiomommd
Just a thought about guilt.... If, heaven forbid, I were a *single* mom who needed to work to earn money to bread on the table (and miraculously I found child care that cost less then my salary) would there be any question?? Of course not! If you *have* to work, you work. We applaud poor single moms who manage to get education in night school, set an example for their kids. etc.

I think the more educated and typically more well off (or better able to use available resources) Moms feel guilty because by and large we perceive we have a choice. MOST men still assume they will be earning money for the family in some capacity -- no societal choice. It's the idea that we are choosing ourselves against our offspring - not just the glass ceilings and unhelpful work environmnent - that hurts for a lot of women.

'course, that's another discussion :-)

More
12 years 3 months ago #5508 by Hermione

Originally posted by ohiomommd:
Just a thought about guilt.... If, heaven forbid, I were a *single* mom who needed to work to earn money to bread on the table (and miraculously I found child care that cost less then my salary) would there be any question?? Of course not! If you *have* to work, you work. We applaud poor single moms who manage to get education in night school, set an example for their kids. etc.

I think the more educated and typically more well off (or better able to use available resources) Moms feel guilty because by and large we perceive we have a choice. MOST men still assume they will be earning money for the family in some capacity -- no societal choice. It's the idea that we are choosing ourselves against our offspring - not just the glass ceilings and unhelpful work environmnent - that hurts for a lot of women.

'course, that's another discussion :-)

Wow, this is soooo true. It held me back for a while, but I finally realized I *have* to work, so I might as well do something I feel passionate about. Simply put, if my job is the reason I have to spend hours and hours away from my family each day, then it might as well be worth it!

"Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching the people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want."<br />-Bl. Mother Teresa

More
12 years 3 months ago #5509 by tmom
so how do people do it? med school, residency etc... and still feel ok abt their relationship with their family? or are you guys all basically saying that anyone who does it feels guilty?

i'm worried for 3rd yr, about never havign time for my daughter, bc what i'm hearing is that you basically are at "work" all day and then you have to study...

More
12 years 3 months ago #5510 by Ol'Girl
For me, the difficult thing about going to med school, having kids, and me now in my 30's... is having to accept that i can't do *anything* really well.

Would I do it over again (as a 4th year)? I am not so sure. I keep telling myself that things will be better once i'm out of medical school.

I gave up a very lucrative job where I made my own hours, to go to medical school. Getting the education is fantastic, and knowing that an MD will open doors to many, many types of jobs is fantastic. But it's incredibly frustrating.

Being a non-trad, I never quite found a group of close friends because I'm always juggling family and school. That has made med school tough. I've always understood my priorities -- school NEVER comes first, but it's still frustrating when I don't do as well on exams as I'd like to or know I could do, because I devote my time to my daughter. It's also frustrating that my daughter happily waves bye-bye to me every morning b/c she's used to me leaving, and she goes ballistic like she's going to die if my husband even leaves the room.

That being said, I'm proud of what I've managed to do, and whether or not I decide to actually practice medicine, I think i'll be glad I did it, SOME day. Sometimes you just have to take a plunge and trust that you'll adapt in the way that is best for you.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!