× General Discussion

How/when did you meet your mate?

More
15 years 5 months ago #5584 by aidan73
My husband and I met in High School. We were not sweethearts, in fact he dated one of my best friends for three years - that's how we became friends. We lost touch after graduation. He went into the military (USAF) and I stayed in the area and started college. Over the next 7 years he lived in England (deployed to the Mid East), married, moved back to the states, had a child, discharged from USAF, went into the Coast Guard and divorced. He was a busy guy!!

All during that time I was working on my degree, I had to work full time so it was taking me awhile. I lived with an aunt at the time to save money and out of the blue one night he called. He was in the process of transferring from a base in Virgina to a base in New Orleans and had come home for a vacation. I got home from classes and my aunt told me someone named Kevin had called. I knew exactly who it was and called him back the next night. We went out everynight until he had to report for duty the next week. My classes kinda suffered!!

We had the long distance thing going on, but Houston and NOLA are only about 5-6 hours apart and one of us would drive over every couple of weeks. We dated for 3 months before we were engaged and were married a year later.

We have been married for 4 years now and he totally supports my decision to apply for med school. In fact, I was going to apply last cycle but freaked myself out, deciding I wasn't smart enough, etc.. He is the one to encourage me to break out the study materials and get signed up for the MCAT. So I will take the darn thing in 11 days (OMG!!) and pray that he was right and I will do good and get accepted.

I told him the other day that it amazes me that our lives have worked out this way and that we are married with a daughter on the way. It sounds real corny, but it just gives me a little thrill everytime I stop and think about it. Yes, I'm a goofball sometimes!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #5585 by EKM
Hey, good luck on your MCAT! What a big step for you!! :) I hope you do well...you and your husband have a cute story... :wave:

More
15 years 5 months ago #5586 by Drey

We were not sweethearts, in fact he dated one of my best friends for three years

Lol! My ex-boyfriend of 4 years is getting married to my best friend this summer. Everyone we know is flipping out about that, because they all thought I was going to marry this guy, but the three of us are perfectly fine with it. :)

More
15 years 5 months ago #5587 by aidan73
Thanks EKM, I feel totally whupped from studying so much - hopefully it will be worth it.

Drey, we don't see her much even though she is still in the area. It's funny b/c my DH was visiting with her parents while on his leave when he saw a pic of me from a wedding I had been in. It's kinda complicated but his ex's brother is good friends with a cousin of mine and we (the brother and me) were both in the cousin's wedding. Guess he thought I looked "hot" in the bridesmaid dress or something!!

More
15 years 5 months ago #5588 by DrSAHM
met in high school - he then went off to university and we went our seperate ways, the following year i went off to a different university .
Towards the end of my first degree he popped back into my life again which was great timing as i was in a rel'ship with yikes, a med student, that was going absolutely nowhere fast so we started back in the 'just good friends' category! Many cappucino dates later we were on and pretty much stayed that way.

we've travelled and worked OS together and had so much fun over the years - he was very supportive of my decision to go back to school and study medicine (after being a PT on a pretty good income - well, for our basic needs of travelling, travelling and more travelling that is), and left a great position in san francisco where we'd been working for a while to come back home to australia so i could start med school. he's not medical at all, although his father was so he does understand the lifestyle.....
its been almost 10 yrs since we got married on the gulf coast of florida (sarasota) and our little baby, bella, was born 7 mths ago.
after my recent 'retirement' we are looking forward to continuing our travels now that i am not more commited to medicine than i was to my family!!!!

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!