× International

Anybody from Germany??

More
13 years 4 days ago #71388 by l337girl
I grew up in Germany (hey.. we all seem to be ending up in Texas!) but I now live in the US where I will finish my BSci.

I've been looking in to attending medical school in Germany, specifically Heidelburg, but I can't seem to find any information on entrance requirements or tuition for American citizens.

I qualify for Germany residency, but I have not applied yet.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Nan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #71389 by SAHMdoc
I was admitted to medical school in Munich several years ago, but ended up going to a U.S. school instead (and going 150K into debt! Big mistake!) At that time, foreigners paid the same registration fee as Germans- which was around $300 or so per semester. You can't beat the price!
Back then, international students applied directly to the medical school they were interested in attending, but the rules are different if you're considered German. In that case, you have to go through the match with the ZVS (which is like a national clearinghouse for assigning medical school spots).
Here's some info about the ZVS that applies only to those considered native Germans: www.zvs.de/Service/Download/M11.pdf
If you don't qualify for consideration with the German applicant pool, then you have to apply directly with the medical school.
Here's the international student information specific for Heidelberg:
www.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de/AAA/
Good luck- hope this helps!

More
12 years 11 months ago #71390 by l337girl
SAHMdoc, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I was looking for.

More
12 years 11 months ago #71391 by gwenovere
What's medical residency like in Germany???
hours, call, hassle, etc...

How about the practice afterwards...

More
12 years 11 months ago #71392 by SAHMdoc
Residency in Germany is easier than in the U.S. However, I've heard it's tough to get a spot in many fields, especially for foreigners. Call is nothing like here- Germany has strict laws about work hours and those apply to physicians as well. There is some overnight call, but it's not nearly as much as you would do here and you get much more time off than here. Of course, German house officers still complain that they're overworked and compared to the average German I'm sure they are, but it's all relative- it's nothing compared to what U.S. or British house officers go through.
The pay, however, is worse than in the U.S. and that's true across the board. Even senior physicians in Germany earn considerably less than their American counterparts. There is also a huge over-supply of physicians in Germany, so that makes finding a job a bit tough sometimes.
The German physicians I know are very happy in their field. However, they're in relatively benign fields like psychiatry, so I can't speak for those in surgery or OB.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!