× International

International Women's Day - New Forum in Honor

More
14 years 6 months ago #71411 by MomMD
Today is International Women's Day. We have decided to launch this forum for our international visitors. Please feel free to introduce yourselves - where do you live? Perhaps you are an American studying overseas? Wherever you are, America included, this forum is for you!

From the United Nations:

International Women's Day (8 March) is an occasion marked by women's groups around the world. This date is also commemorated at the United Nations and is designated in many countries as a national holiday. When women on all continents, often divided by national boundaries and by ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic and political differences, come together to celebrate their Day, they can look back to a tradition that represents at least nine decades of struggle for equality, justice, peace and development.

International Women's Day is the story of ordinary women as makers of history; it is rooted in the centuries-old struggle of women to participate in society on an equal footing with men. In ancient Greece, Lysistrata initiated a sexual strike against men in order to end war; during the French Revolution, Parisian women calling for "liberty, equality, fraternity" marched on Versailles to demand women's suffrage.

The idea of an International Women's Day first arose at the turn of the century, which in the industrialized world was a period of expansion and turbulence, booming population growth and radical ideologies.

www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/women/womday97.htm

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #71412 by juliesmom
Let me be the first to reply!

Lebanese-Canadian here. Went to school at the American University of Beirut (AUB) as a premed biology major. The AUB medical school is the best in the Middle East region (for Arabs). I think my entire premed class is now dispersed all over the US doing their residencies! (AUB is affiliated with many medical centers in the states).

Right now, living in Dubai, UAE with my husband and two kids.

I think I posted this info before and got no replies. So I might be the only one posting here! (at least from the Middle East) :)

More
14 years 6 months ago #71413 by Laramisa
Hi Juliesmom,
I worked with some good friends from Lebanon years ago and one of them went back to teach at American University of Beirut - unfortunately we have lost contact. Lebanese food is one of my favorites!
I'm from the USA but living right now in Europe (came here for a research post-doc) and have been doing biomedical research for a few years in several different countries.

More
14 years 6 months ago #71414 by juliesmom
Hi Laramisa!

It's great to know someone else has heard of my university :) It's probably very likely that I know the people you're talking about, as I majored in biology and there was a very active biomedical research environment there.

Where in Europe are you?

More
14 years 6 months ago #71415 by Mom2MD
Hi juliesmom,
I am not from the middleeast but I am an arab living in the USA.
I have friends from lebanon. they graduated from the american university of beirut. I went to university with them when I was studying in spain. One of them was a good friend of mine her name is wehbi. I love lebanese food and culture and most of all the coutry that I am dying to visit.
Keep in touch. :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!