× International

Studying medicine in the Netherlands

More
8 years 8 months ago #77535 by hivida
Hello! My husband is Dutch and we currently live in the United States with our two kids. I am in my mid 30s and have a Ph.D. in biological sciences. I just finished my postdoctoral work (with good publications) and am right now working in the biotech industry. I am seriously thinking about a career change and am considering applying to medical schools in the Netherlands. Does anyone know anything about medical schools in the Netherlands that are more open to accepting applicants who are older or nontraditional? I understand that I will also need to learn Dutch, which will add another year before I start the program. Thank you so much for any inputs you may have!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77536 by nerdy
Why do you want to go to school in the Netherlands when you live in the US?

More
8 years 8 months ago #77540 by SW to MD
Not sure of schools in the Netherlands, but I would budget far more than one year to learn the language at an academic level. Within school districts, it is generally accepted that students learning English will get to an academic level of reading in 5-7 YEARS with strong steady work and progress.

We have one person in our class who came to the US six years ago now, but they still struggle with instructors not being able to understand their accent and issues related to more technical terms.

Are you guys planning on moving?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!