× Introductions & Connections

Welcome to MomMD! - Introduce yourself!

More
7 years 7 months ago #84760 by OnExtendedLeave
I don't think I saw this thread previously in the few weeks since I joined. I don't recall which thread I introduced myself in! :)

kinderdoc - I know your post was from November, but I am so sorry to hear about your situation and hope that you are feeling more at peace and/or have found ways to improve the situation.

mariesp1: There's nothing crazy about having goals; it's also ok to change one's goals as one gains additional life experiences. It sounds like you'll have a number of years to consider your ideas while you finish college. Major in something that excites/interests you in and of itself. You don't have to be a "premed" major to go to medical school. I went to med school after computer science. If you love biology or chemistry, or literature, etc, go for it, and just take the premed requirements also. Then you can see what you think in a couple years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #84804 by Michael Rawlins
Is male welcome here? Hope it does.. :D

More
7 years 6 months ago #85385 by pied397
Hi!
I graduated with a degree in Biology (Micro/Cell) 4 years ago. I started a career in Public Health as a Sanitarian and now work as a contractor (Environmental Scientist & Public Health Analyst). When I graduated, I was tired - between a lot of upheaval during my undergraduate courses with family, having to transfer college (due to money), and undergraduate research I was stretched to my max and finally broken.

I currently live in the mid-west with my dog and am not as broken as I was then. Now that I've had a little time to reassess everything, I am looking for some advice and mentoring as to what to do and where to go from here. My Aunt (MD) is a wonderful resource, but we aren't very close (geographically or personally) and the friends that I graduated the same year with are now busy with Residency.

Many thanks ahead of time. Lou

More
7 years 5 months ago #85615 by dance4life
Good Morning, MomMD!

I'm finishing up my first year as an OMS-I and am so grateful for the chance to become a doctor. I'm non-traditional (44), a mom to three (25, 20, and 13), and my husband has had to keep his job in a town 5 hours away so I'm also doing this alone with my 13 year old. I used MomMD as a sounding board when I was on the pre-med/prerequisite journey, but got side-tracked during school.

I'm back to say.... YOU CAN DO THIS!! I had a great year even though there was turmoil and strife, a few failed tests along the way, patient encounters that were difficult and a general sense of not really "belonging" with the rest of the class. If you are a woman who is going through medical school, non-traditional, and struggling with the loneliness - please message me! If you already know of a group that exists for us - please let me know. I'd love to make contact with people who understand my struggles. The 24 year old single girl really doesn't have the same concerns or worries that I do.

Glad to be back - I hope to help mentor others if I can.

Dance...

More
7 years 5 months ago #85619 by Doc201X

dance4life wrote: Good Morning, MomMD!

I'm finishing up my first year as an OMS-I and am so grateful for the chance to become a doctor. I'm non-traditional (44), a mom to three (25, 20, and 13), and my husband has had to keep his job in a town 5 hours away so I'm also doing this alone with my 13 year old. I used MomMD as a sounding board when I was on the pre-med/prerequisite journey, but got side-tracked during school.

I'm back to say.... YOU CAN DO THIS!! I had a great year even though there was turmoil and strife, a few failed tests along the way, patient encounters that were difficult and a general sense of not really "belonging" with the rest of the class. If you are a woman who is going through medical school, non-traditional, and struggling with the loneliness - please message me! If you already know of a group that exists for us - please let me know. I'd love to make contact with people who understand my struggles. The 24 year old single girl really doesn't have the same concerns or worries that I do.

Glad to be back - I hope to help mentor others if I can.

Dance...

Sooooooo glad to hear of a mother in their 40's attending med school as I hope to do the same next year! And you're right about the HUGE differences between 24 year olds and 44 year olds, not just in med school but in life.

We have a thread on Mommd for the over 40 crowd, but I seem to be the ONLY one who posts there, lol!! Old premeds is the site I typically look to for advice about midlife and med school. FAR more support for doing this at mid life IMHO.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
7 years 4 months ago #85956 by psychmart
I am a clinical psychologist and have a burning desire and hidden dream to become a MD. I would like to specialize in psychiatry. The conflict: I am 43yo with a 6yo child. The conflict is two-fold; do medical school accept "older" students, if so which ones and second, is it fair to do this to my sone?

Thank you for reading. Your feedback (constructive & positive) is greatly appreciated.
:0]

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!