× Introductions & Connections

Deciding whether to study medicine after 40.

More
8 years 3 months ago #75331 by mimir
Hi! :) I just discovered this site and it's been a blessing.
I am a 41 year old mom of four kids, ages 17, 15, 12, and 6.
All my life, since I was a kid I wanted to be a doctor. I studied pre-med in college and worked as a lab technician in the University's School of Medicine, in the Microbiology department. It was a great opportunity! We were funded by the NIH. I liked it very much! As I was deciding to apply for med school, some of my co- workers and the doctor that I was working for discouraged me to apply. They often argued about the negatives of studying medicine. I'm the type of person that analyzes and overanalyzes everything, and also I was young impressionable and engaged. SO, I decided to study something related and less time consuming, I studied Medical Technology.

Four Kids and 20 years later, the ghost of my decisions still haunts me today. I've been working in research with a neuroscientist, but I'm recently unemployed. As I analyze and overanalyze my possibilities for the future I've been thinking about studying for the MCAT this year. But, I worry about the time that I will not be spending with my kids (I've been more of a stay-at-home mom than anything else). I worry about what it will cost me as well; my kids are on their way to college and I would be doing the same thing. Loans would be needed to be taken out and it seems like too much money and it scares me. :eek:

I'm sending this S.O.S to the world, maybe someone can give me their opinion. Is there anyone out there with the same situation? Any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #75404 by Fresh12
Oh My God. I love you.

mimir wrote: I studied pre-med in college and worked as a lab technician in the University's School of Medicine, in the Microbiology department. It was a great opportunity! We were funded by the NIH. I liked it very much! As I was deciding to apply for med school, some of my co- workers and the doctor that I was working for discouraged me to apply. They often argued about the negatives of studying medicine. I'm the type of person that analyzes and overanalyzes everything, and also I was young impressionable and engaged. SO, I decided to study something related and less time consuming, I studied Medical Technology.

switch Microbiology with Biochemistry and Medical Technology with Pharmacy.
This is EXACTLY where I am at. and my other option I am considering is pharmacy.
This post is going into my save forever reminders. Sorry that I am not able to help you with your SOS, but you have helped me with mine. :)

More
5 years 1 month ago #91043 by Mary B
Hey sis, i feel your pain. i am 38 years old with 3 kids, two masters and phd later i wish i had started medic school so long ago. now its so complicated. i recently had someone tell me because of my age i should become a physician assistant which i have seriously considered. but my dream, your dreM and just about every mom on this forum is to become a MD. we must pursue our dreams head on, reach for the stars, holding our head up high and our hands set before us to plow through all the negative peopld that will say yiu cant, you shouldnt and you wont make it. believe in ourselves, our dreams and love of service as women and as moms and we will make it.

peacd,
mary

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!