× Introductions & Connections

Following A Dream

More
5 years 5 months ago #90071 by mlm414
[color:#33CCFF]Hey there! I'm very new to the site and wanted to introduce myself! I'm 22 & a mom of two. My husband and I have been together for 6 years. I've always wanted to become a physician because medicine fascinates me! Besides being a mom and being so young, I have my whole life in front of me and figured I'd chase this dream of mine, head on! I'm currently pre-med and working on my degree as well. I'm a bio major and minoring in psychology. I'm thinking of changing my major to Neuroscience because that topic is different and very intriguing for me. Currently, I'm a certified clinical medical assistant, phlebotomist & EKG technician. I'm looking forward to making some friends on here and getting positive guidance! [/color]

MLM414

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #90074 by southernmd
Welcome - you have terrific clinical experience for your app one day for sure with those jobs in hand! Study what you like in college, because the major itself doesn't matter, but your grades do - so you want to pick something you will be interested in i.e. excel in your studies.

More
5 years 5 months ago #90079 by mlm414
[color:#33CCFF]Thank you! I'm currently about to interview for a medical scribe position! I'm hoping this will give me more insight. I'm trying to find an interesting hobby also, that I can stick with through this process. I know interviewers really appreciate seeing that on an application. Sometimes trying to make sure I cover everything can become overwhelming. Have you run into that? :confused:
I've been tying in lots of volunteer work & need to get in my research. Is it really held against you if you don't get overse
as experience? [/color]

MLM414

More
5 years 5 months ago #90080 by AmmaMD
Oh my goodness - you have done a ton. Adding a hobby if it sounds like you actually want to do it wouldn't hurt you of course, but I don't think you need to do it just for your application - being a mother pretty much automatically qualifies you as having more to your life than just studying already, in my book! And it had never actually crossed my mind to think that one needs to have overseas experience. At this point, I think your main focus should probably be (1) living your life as you want to now, as this is a loooong road (ie, don't give up time that you'd like to spend with your kids to do some adult hobby for the sake of your application!), and (2) your academic work (both to get the grades you need to get in, hopefully with financial support if needed, as well as to be well prepared to do well in medical school once you're there). Oh, and, of course, to learn all you want to in college just because it's your opportunity to be a college student and learn about lots of varied and interesting things! If you do well academically and prioritize being a real person who does things you love both in and out of school, that's what matters. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlm414

More
5 years 5 months ago #90083 by mlm414
[color:#6666CC]Really??! Really, really?? This is such a huge relief to hear! I figured medical school admissions didn't care if you had children or not! I've bought so many books on preparing for medical school and there's a looonnngggg laundry list of things they want you to do to make you a competitive applicant! I'm currently reading The Pre-Med Bible. I thought they would see someone who has young children as being distracted or too busy to put effort towards school! Thank you so much for you input! It took a lot off! :) Keep the realistic advice coming! These medical school prep books are intimidating. [/color] :crazy:

MLM414

More
5 years 5 months ago #90084 by AmmaMD
Well... definitely get more input than just me, obviously =). But, the way I think of it, medical schools want to know that (1) you can do the work, academically; (2) you are "well-rounded" enough to be able to connect with other people in a reasonable way; and (3) you know what you're getting yourself into. Outside interests count towards both #2 and #3 (you know a bit of what's out there in the world, and thus can make an informed opinion about what you're prioritizing where to do medicine). Being a mom obviously addresses these points, too. And, while you're right they may worry some about whether you can handle medical school with kids, just as the first question they ask themselves about any applicant is whether they can handle medical school, if you've done your college work as a mom, and you've done it in a reasonable time period and with reasonable success, *that's* the way to show that you can handle it. Academics are the keystone, here!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!