× Introductions & Connections

Kids in Personal Statement??

More
5 years 4 months ago #90154 by OHM77
I am entering fourth year and am now faced with trying to figure out the details. One of those details is what I should put in my personal statement. I have decided that I want to do Pediatrics. From my understanding Pediatrics tends not to be that competitive, but I am considering applying to schools that may competitive. I want to sub-specialize and I think I may want to attend some of them.

So here is the issue I haven't done much while in medical school that I think I could put in personal statement. Throughout medical school, I have tried to succeed in school and be a good mom. So some of the successful things I have done include them, but should I put that in my personal statement?

Has anyone else mentioned children in there personal statement?

Realizing the dream I deferred.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #90155 by southernmd
I used my personal statement to talk about why I wanted to go into my specialty, as well as what I hoped to do with my career, why I'd be a good fit for my specialty etc. I didn't talk about what I did in medical school. They will have that information from your ERAS application. You list it all out. Use your personal statement to talk about motivations for Pediatrics.

Just my two cents!

I did not mention my child in my personal statement, but it wasn't because I don't love him - it just wasn't relevant to what I was talking about. That said, if it was - I would have. It was in my Dean's Letter that I successfully balanced considerable activities and academic achievement in medical school while having a baby during second year. My Dean put that in herself, and I was ok with it. I am kind of proud of how I managed to get through things, and I was happy she was proud of me also.

I do know people who were extremely competitive and matched in a top program who did write about their children in their PS. However, this is also because their motivations for their specialty tied into an experience with their child. I think that is a good use of mentioning it in your personal statement.

More
5 years 4 months ago #90156 by asunshine
I agree with southern on all points. I did use my kids in my PS, but it was because I was making a point. However you frame it, do NOT NOT NOT make it sound like having kids is your excuse for not doing ____ . They will assume you will continue to use that excuse in residency, which could be a deal breaker, even though it's not true.

FWIW, I would not consider any specialty as not-that-competitive. The match is getting tougher, and there's no way to predict how it will go. Your best option is to present your very, very best. (Not that you weren't already planning on doing that ;) .)

More
5 years 4 months ago #90157 by southernmd
Oh good point, asunshine. There were only 8 positions left in Pediatrics open after the match for scramblers. In the entire country. Peds isn't noncompetitive anymore.

More
5 years 4 months ago #90196 by OHM77
Thank you for letting me know AnnaMD

More
5 years 4 months ago #90197 by OHM77
Oh man, I am super nervous now. But I am pretty sure my school has a place for me, so I am pretty confident about them. They have seen all that I have been through and seen me work on the same level as the other students, despite being a single mom. I guess trick will be how to figure out a way to put in words what my program has seen with my actions.

My dean was a single mom when she was in medical school, so I am curious to see what she will have to say about me.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!