× Introductions & Connections

Medical student with six children

More
3 years 9 months ago #95572 by Hey Mom
Hi all. I'm a 4th semester with 6(yes, six) children. They are 19, 17, 14, and 11yrs then a new one at 6 months. She was born during second semester. In case anyone compared numbers:the twins are the 11yo's.

The 19yo has asperger's and is unlikely to move out any time soon. However, the 17yo will likely move to a dorm within a year or so.

All 5 of the big kids are very helpful and supportive. I am extremely grateful.

Currently I am finding the financial aspects to be very challenging. I would love to hear how others have survived.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #96117 by 3DMOM
I'm not in medical school yet and I only have 3 kids, but maybe you can use what I am about to share. During this time of me going to school and finishing up my master's my husband and I had to really evaluate things. Income tax time was when we were able to catch up on bills and purchase higher priced items that were need such as laptops for all kids. We did Craigslist and pawn shops for the lap tops and another item we were looking for. That really came in helpful. I exercised at home with my bike I purchased for $40 on Craigslist, instead of a gym membership. I shop Kroger a lot so I download the app to my phone and use there coupons that are linked to my Kroger card. Also, I get the majority of the gas at Kroger with a nice discount. I make homemade chicken soup in the crook pot. Your big kids can probably learn to do that. I order items on-line to save on gas and my time. Try growing some of your fruits and veggies and have your kids help cultivate the garden. In addition, you can cut coupons from on-line "Couponmom" which is a great site. We go to resale shops and do on-line layways with Sears and Kmart. Moreover, we have meatless dinners and dinners without a starch many night ( I just don't eat a lot of starch). Hope this was useful.

More
2 years 11 months ago #96125 by Cara Linda
You are a strong woman!!!!!

More
2 years 10 months ago #96181 by RNtoDOMommy
Oh my goodness!! Please please let's connect! Until tonight I have felt all alone. All the pre-meds kids I have classes with are super encouraging of me and ask me for advice all the time, but I just cannot relate on most issues. I too have many kiddos - 5 actually. My oldest is turning 14 next month and also has Asperger's. I plan to start med school fall of 2017. I'm so lucky to have the most supportive amazing husband and I know I won't be able to do this without him. But I would also love to connect with some other mature mommies! Thank you! And good luck to you as well!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!