× Introductions & Connections

Can MD moms have it all??

More
2 years 6 months ago #95844 by tk13md
Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully make some connections! I received my MD and completed my PGY1 yr. I found out I was pregnant and with a private practice MD husband, an incredibly tough pregnancy with constant nausea, vomiting, IUGr which was prob due to me not taking care of myself, I decided to stay at home with baby. I have no regrets... I love being w her every minute and being able to see her grow. However, I know I will want to start working again sometime next yr and feel comfortable putting her in daycare.

I would love to hear from women who have been in my situation.
What careers did you find out there for MDs w/out completed training. Where you able to reenter residency?
I would love advice, to network, and receive encouragement :-)
I graduated summa cum laude from business school undergrad and I feel like I have a lot to offer. Just confused what my next career step should be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #95848 by sahmd
Welcome! I have not been in that situation, but I imagine the first place to start would be at your old residency because they already know you. When you left residency, did you take a leave of absence, or did you quit? Did you finish step 3 (because there is a deadline for that)? There are working doctors out there who have only completed internship, but it is becoming harder and harder for people to get a good job without completing a whole residency (unless they are mid-levels, but I digress). Even board certification is becoming more and more of a requirement, and you can't do that without completing a residency.

I don't know much about non-clinical jobs, but that is definitely another option, especially without your interest in business. Maybe the non-clinical world is more family-friendly than medicine (although I must say that I don't know, one way or the other). Just keep in mind that the longer you are away from clinical medicine, the harder it will be to re-enter. So if clinical medicine is what you want to do in the long run, maybe it is best to focus your energies on that, instead of taking a detour into a non-clinical job.

But good luck, whatever you decide to do!

More
2 years 3 months ago #96009 by MG2011
HI tk13MD,

I'm a bit late to the discussion, and a newbie here too.
I think there are many non clinical jobs that a MD with your background can do. As sahmd said you can try first at your old residency, but if you prefer a more flexible schedule you can try for public health jobs. Someone would Business management experience would be very good at health management jobs, you could complete an MPH (Masters in public health - some are offered online) and look around your local department of health, hospitals or even universities for teaching positions.

I have been home for 7 years now for my 3 kids, youngest is less than 1, I'm preparing to sit my USMLE and will probably start job hunting next year.

My two cents would be first to decide if you want to stay in clinical medicine or wouldn't mind non clinical jobs. There are many options once that decision is made.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!