× Introductions & Connections

New here. Have a lot of questions. RN to MD at 41

More
1 year 8 months ago #96213 by Julia Robinson
Hi. I'm new here and I have a lot of questions. I am a 41-year-old single mom of 2 kids. I am in RN school right now but I am considering going to med school or PA school. I always v to be a doctor but my life got side tracked with a bad marriage that lasted for 16 years. He was very controlling and manipulative and would not let me go to med school when I was 30. When we started the divorce I decided I needed to go back to school to have a career that I would enjoy. I didn't think I could go to med school and be a single mom so I chose an ADN program at a community college to be an RN. Now that I'm halfway through the RN program I know that I want to be a PA or an MD. How feasible is it to go to school in your 40s to be a doctor? I would welcome any advice. I left a post on another part of the forum but this is probably where it needs to be. I am also in the Army Reserves and work from home as a transcriptionist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 23 hours ago #140832 by DeeRN
I know this is super late post now. I would be very much interested in what you decided ultimately. I am also in the same position at the age of 29 with similar marraige. I am currently an RN and debating DO or PA school. Non supportive spouse. I know many medical students who have gone to medical school at the age of 40. I know there is a blog somewhere where a NP at the age of 53 went back to medical school when both her son entered college. I think if you do not have responsibility that will take your time you should go to medical school. I am in the same boat trying to figuer out if medical school is right for me and my 2 year old son. will take advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeeRN

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #140842 by DeeRN
Thank you so much for your reply again. I did visit a career counselor yesterday and concluded that i am definitely more inclined towards the DO/MD route vs a PA. The root cause was my fear and self doubts of not being able to achieve that goal. So I am going to at least giving MCAT and at the end base my decision on the score. In the mean time soul-search and see how life unfolds.

The google map can't be displayed, ask your administrator for more details

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!