× Introductions & Connections

Introductions!

More
17 years 4 months ago #54594 by cazza
Hi,
I am a first year medical student in Australia and Mum to two girls, who have just turned 6 and 4. I found mommd last year, when I finally had the chance to pursue my dream of being a doctor again after putting it on hold/ trying to ignore it for 16 years or so (my, how the time flies!!!).It really encouraged me to persevere, and now here I am - a medical student!!! We started in Feb over here, and these last few months have been fantastic!!! I think that by being older I really appreciate the privilige (sorry about the spelling!)of going to med school. Anyway, to those of you still trying to get in, don't give up if this is what you really want! After not getting in from high school, I thought I had no chance, but I was wrong!!!
All the best to those of you starting med school soon! I'll look forward to hearing of your experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #54595 by psychmd
Hi,
I am a mom of an almost 2 year-old boy and I have two step children, a 10 yo girl and a 13 yo boy. I had completed my general psychiatry training at Brown and just graduated from the fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Brown too.
I have a brand new job where I'm working in Women's mental health. I am lucky to be working with amazing women at a day hospital for post-partum depression and I'm in the process of building up my outpatient practice for Women either pregnant or postpartum or with various Gyn conditions.
It feels like I've been training forever but the day finally came and now I'm in "the real world".
I'd be happy to share some of my experiences applying to residency programs and while in residency as a mom. Can't say much about med school since I'm an FMG.
I have supportive ex-husband and I'm still now having to juggle call and life as a mom.
To all the young moms and med students I can only say: Yes, we can do it all and still be good at it.

More
17 years 4 months ago #54596 by determined2bmommd
Hello everyone. I'm pushing 40 and applying to the 2003 class. Like the lady in Aus, I too put things on hold because when I graduated from HS in Australia way back in 1981 I didn't get in to med school. I came to the US as a pre-med student but didn't do as well as I hoped and so chose other paths. Now I am ready to finish what I began and pursue my dreams. I

'm the mother of 5 children -- ranging in age from 24 yrs to 3 yrs. Yes, I was a teen mom but a teen who was determined to make a life for myself and not be dependent on others. Parenting has been difficult as 2 of my girls are deaf and today I learned that another daughter is most likely suffering from bi-polar disorder. She is currently medicated for absence seizures and migraines (age 6). But nevertheless I believe my experiences and my ability to continue with life and school and raising/nurturing children with disabilities will make me a compassionate and empathic doctor one day.

The road has been tough. Sitting the MCAT after being out of school for 15 yrs was difficult and I didn't do as well as I wanted so I will retake it in August. Now it is back to the books. My application is in to AMCAS and I have taken time to visit one medical school several times and have been pleased with the welcome response and assistance the admissions counselor has provided.

Unfortunately my husband does not want to move so I am limited to applying to 3 schools where I can commute or have an appartment close to home. And that's ok.

I'm excited and pray that my dreams will come true.

More
17 years 4 months ago #54597 by kswissmommy
Hey everyone, i'm a 32 year old mother of a beautiful and rambunctious (SP?) 22 month old and my life dream is to become a doctor. i posted for a while on the previous mommd dicussion board and i was so excited to find it. i had applied to CSU Hayward and had planned to begin taking my prereq to begin this journey, but once the time to actually go came, i just couldn't seem to figure out how to make it happen without taking away too much from my job, which is already done part time in the office and part time at home, and then my fiance, while supportive, has shown that he is simply not prepared to watch the baby even more than he already does (he watches him during the day). so with the class falling in the middle of the day, i just couldn't take it and i have put the whole thing off indefinitely because it seems that reality is way more powerful than my dreams. i try not to think about it too much and figure that things may change after a couple of years, once he is in school and financial concerns aren't so pressing...and then again i think that maybe i'll just go get an MBA and dive fully into this business with my father, who has been so kind since i've had the baby, letting my schedule be super flexible. if anyone remembers me from the other board, then u know i tend to ramble on so i'll stop soon...i'm gonna keep hanging around these boards though, i think everone here is sooo amazing and maybe one day...

More
17 years 4 months ago #54598 by **DONOTDELETE**
Sethina, I love the new site!

Reading posts from MomMD is always a great way to start my day! You are all inspiring! I've been a member of MomMD for a year or more. I'm 45 and mom to a 24 year old boy (man) who lives fairly close by, in the city (Boston). I also have a 6 year old son whom I adopted at birth. He's lovely as all get out, and struggles with neuro issues related to his birth mother's alcoholism. I'm not sure what type of practice I'd like to have, but the issues around fetal alcohol are of great interest to me.

I was dreaming yesterday of a pill that we could give to alcoholic women, whether they cease drinking or not, that prevents absorbtion by the fetus. I can't imagine making the strides we need to make in prevention of ARBD by just trying to treat the alcoholism of the mother. Because of the complexity of the disease and the difficulty of getting many adicted women to seek medical care during pregnancy in the first place - we have to be creative. This thought in itself is simplistic, but I hope that someday it will be one piece of the approach to reducing these preventable birth defects.

I'm spending my summer at the YMCA, the park, and the library to keep my son entertained and to prepare my body and brain for school in the fall. I'm beginning my pre-meds at a local college (Bridgewater State) in Sept. with Chem, Bio, and physics. I'm really happy to be starting, and to begin the process immersed in the sciences.

Oh, my previous experience is in software development, the last position being in clinical applications for a large medical center.

Have a wonderful day!

More
17 years 4 months ago #54599 by sammy's mom
I'm 37 years old, mother of 4 under 7, busy surgeon. Blessed with great career and better family. Would be happy to talk with anyone about how to make it happen.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!