× Introductions & Connections

Future DO

More
17 years 2 months ago #55293 by Brenda May
I thought I would take the time to introduce myself. I am 29 years old, married (seven years) and have a 5 year old daughter just starting kindergarten. I have wanted to be a doctor since I saw my brother's hand mutilated by a radial arm saw. I couldn't find away to support myself through school when I was eighteen and dropped out after a couple of years. I am one of those students whose parents said "you're eighteen, you're on your own" and when I told them I wanted to go to medical school, the reply I got was "Why would you want to do that? Why don't you just become a nurse?"

It is amazing what one negative comment can do to your mental state, especially when coming from the people that are supposed to support you the most. Anyway, thank goodness the student loan program changed and is no longer need based (my husband makes too much money, oh well). I will have a lot of debt but, eleven years after high school, I finally got accepted to medical school and the wait was worth it.

I discovered osteopathic medicine three years ago and I love it. It was as if someone was reading my own mind when developing the philosophy, go A. T. Still!! I had lots of hurdles to get over, including low GPA and average MCAT scores but I did it. So if you think it can't be done, think again. I got into the toughest Osteopathic school in the country, not because of the numbers on paper but because of what I did outside of the classroom, so if I can make it so can others.

I would love to hear from others like me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #55294 by futr_babyDOc
Welcome!!

How are your classes going so far?? Good luck with everything and enjoy the ride. When things get tough, just remember, we wanted to be here.

More
17 years 2 months ago #55295 by MelissaGray
Welcome, Brenda May!

Congratulations on your great accomplishment! Which Osteopathic school are you going to?

Come and join us in the med student forum!!

Melissa

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!