× Introductions & Connections

Non-traditional Applicant

More
15 years 4 months ago #55425 by spinedoctor
Hi there, I am a 32 year old chiropractic physician. I have been in practice for 3 years now, but really have a burning desire to attend medical school. I am studying to take the MCAT April 2005, but what else should I do? I work 3 days/week because I am studying so much. Do I have a chance at getting in, eventhough my science GPA is roughly 2.5, but in Chiropractic College it was 3.7 (Magna Cum Laude)and got mostly A's in my medical/chiropractic courses (Renal-Pulm, Ab-Thorax, Histology,Human Embryology, Anatomy and Physiology, etc.)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #55426 by zenmama
your background is strong yet I know that core sciences play an important role, that gpa may may be an issue. I also have been told that volunteering in your community in some way does help.

I don't know if you have been to old premeds yet...if not, it's a great site with a lot of info for nontrads...some of the members have served on ad coms and can offer a wealth of information.

good luck with your MCAT
Kate

ps...apologies for typos....going on 3 hours sleep.

More
15 years 3 months ago #55427 by Dorrie
To quote a friend of mine "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing". If you want to be an MD, talk to the admissions, see what they ask for. That is what I did, and now I am enrolled in the science courses I should have taken all those years ago. I have a BA and about half a Masters, but am going after the MD instead (or maybe in addition).

For smiles for those who are wondering "how old is too old" - I am enrolled in the same BIO 101 class as my daughter. :rolleyes:

More
15 years 3 months ago #55428 by JDmom
Dorrie, I think I love you! I could be enrolled in the same Bio 101 course as my daughter . . . if I hadn't waited until I was 38 to have her!!

I took most of the prerequisites back in the early 90s but ended up going to law school instead. Now I have to take them all over again because I just can't get that old medical school siren song out of my head. I just started Chem 101 today - eeek.

Good luck to you. It's great to see that there are enough of us out there to make one suspect that we may not be totally barking mad.

More
15 years 3 months ago #55429 by EKM
I think you will find that the majority of the people on this forum are non-traditional applicants in some way. This is the perfect place to get helpful solutions and just plain moral support. I think you experience as a chiropracter is so valuable. It would be neat to go to a doctor who is both. Kind of like double dipping. :scratchchin: :laughing: Good luck!

More
15 years 3 months ago #55430 by rs4
not to jump the gun, but call me when you're done, I think the combo would be great with my psych practice! good luck

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!