× Introductions & Connections

new 2 this

More
12 years 9 months ago #55789 by fit2survive
Im a premed student and married with three children. My oldest is 3.5 yrs, middle 2.5 yrs, and youngest is 9 mos! I think I just might be crazy! I went back to school 1.5 years ago to start my Bachelors in BIO so I could go to Med school. I had to take a semester off to have my last baby, but am now back full force. I am at an impasse. Med school is my dream, but I struggle with if it really is possible to go to med school do residency and still be a good wife and mom. I want desperately to go sooner than later, and I would be ready with everything by the time my youngest go to school full time. If there is anyone out there that can offer advice please!!! I have thought to get my Masters and teach for a bit until my kids are older and then go, but I don't know that is the best choice.
Anyone?? :cloud9:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #55790 by Mitch
Hi Fit!

I'm a premed, age 38, three kids (6, 4, and almost 3). I have already done a Master's and taught, and didn't enjoy it. I do think it can be done, although there are those who think it cannot. There are some great role models here at this site.
You may have to really think about what being "a good wife and mom" means to you, though. If it means doing all the housework, meals, shopping, general household managing, plus all childcare, and being there for every single soccer game as well as taking care of your husband's needs, well, I think that's almost impossible as a SAHM, never mind as a med student or resident. However, if it means something less than perfection (and perfect attendance), it is do-able. You need to have as much support as you possibly can, excellent reliable childcare, and lot of energy....at least that's what I can tell from my viewpoint.
How is your degree going??

Live, Love, Laugh

More
12 years 9 months ago #55791 by fit2survive
Thanks for responding. So far so good! I am really enjoying school and taking it one step at a time. I think you brought up some great points in your post, and I think that I am really having to reevaluate some things for myself. Fortunately I have an incredibly supportive husband and family around me that are willing to help out once I get to med school. It is definitely something I am really having to do some soul searching through concerning the expectations I put on myself for be a SAHM and student. How far along in your med prereqs are you?

More
12 years 9 months ago #55792 by Mitch
HI Fit,

I PM'd you....check your inbox!

Live, Love, Laugh

More
12 years 9 months ago #55793 by lewisrr
Hey Fit2survive, just wanted to add some encouragement. I am a 31 year old 3rd year med student. I have 6 kids, 7,4,3,2,and 10 m old twins. I just came back to school after a 1 year stent as a stay at home mom. I loved it. I did rotations until I was 7 months with my twins. It is dooable, but hard. You really need to be willing to take the tradeoff...following your dream for less time with your kids. I do not think it makes you a bad mom, it just gives you less time with them. You have to really make the most of the time you do have. My best advice would be...be REALLY sure you are willing to give up the primary care of your clildren to another person (for me fortunately it is my husband) before you start. Once you start it is REALLY expensive if you decide to quit. If you are anything like me, you want to have control over your home life and you loose that when you are physically not there. Let me know if you have more questions.

More
12 years 9 months ago #55794 by TLC
MSIII And 6 kiddos? I think you are my new hero! How in the world is that affordable? Do you have a nanny or do you use preschool?

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!