× Introductions & Connections

D.O.s and Future D.O.s

More
13 years 7 months ago #56226 by VV17
Hey Gioia,

Oh yeah! It was UNE!
When are you coming?
I'm taking Chem I+II this summer there!
UGH! A great way to spend summer in Maine....

Maybe I'll see ya on campus>>>?

V.V. :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #56227 by MelissaGray
I'm an MS3 at an osteopathic school. :goodvibes:

I doubt I'll be using it in practice (in EM), but I really like all of the OMM I've learned & use it on friends and family. My husband loves that I've been learning all of this and practicing it on him. Now that I'm not around my classmates regularly (and able to be treated myself), I'm teaching my husband bits and pieces. :D

More
13 years 7 months ago #56228 by McMom
I'm a future DO and starting school in August in Kansas City. It's great to hear such good stuff about it. I only applied to DO schools because I felt it was the best fit for me and aligned with my philosophies as well.

More
13 years 7 months ago #56229 by gioia
Hey VV17!

I'm here :wave: and rennovating a house .5 mile from campus!

Maybe we can meet before our orientation in July (I'm sane now and can't say much about what might happen to me after reality sets in! :tired: )

McMom, Kansas City is great! I had no idea UHS was going to change their name. I met neat people there on my interviews and wish you all the best!

:hyper:

More
13 years 4 months ago #56230 by Cabinbuilder
This is to the unnamed mom planning to moved away from her three kids.
I do not understand if your husband is supportive and he is in medicine, why are you not moving your family with you? He can get a job in medicine anywhere. I moved 5,000 miles with my two small children 2 and 5 at the time to attend medical school. I cannot imagine going through without them with you. I think the stress of medical school is compounded by the guilt of not having your kids nearby. I do not know how you will get through. I am third year now and cannot imagine it any other way. My former husband left me when he found out I got in. I think if you put your life on hold for him, he should do to same for you now, expect no less.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 2 months ago #56231 by doc-to-be
Hello, there. I am so glad I found this website! This is the information I've been needing. I am JUST beginning my journey to becoming a DO. I will begin a premedical program in May. I plan to do my residency in psychiatry.
I am REALLY interested in hearing from DOs who had children while in school (especially those who did/are doing their residencies in psychiatry). I don't have children yet, but my husband and I want to start within the next few years. What would you say is the best year to have a baby? After first year? After second year? Once rotations begin? Or, is every year equally hard?
Also (this will sound like a naive question), do you have the option to take an occasional summer off? I ask because my mom had me while in law school, and she planned for me to be born after finals so she could have the summer with me before she went back to school. Is this realistic for DO students?
Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!