× Introductions & Connections

D.O.s and Future D.O.s

More
13 years 11 months ago #56232 by OBRN2MD
Okay, me again! I am asking another one of my "dumb" questions. What is a "manipulation?" Is it chiropractory on top of medicine? Just wondering.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #56233 by Cabinbuilder
Ok, I go to DO school so I will try to explain manipulation.

Chiropractic medicine branched out of osteopathic medicine. manipulation help to facilitate the realignment of the body that has been injured. There are many techniques used depending on the age and health of the person. A lot of it is touching a strained muscle and relieving the tension in it. We can correct a back by "cracking", using soft tissue techiques a lot like massage.

Our Manipulation class consists of 200 hours every wednesday over two years. Many things we can "fix" by manipulation that an MD would prescribe muscle relaxers for.

Here is a personal example. On my rotation I had an elderly patient who was on pain killers for 2 years for extreme sciatic pain. He was at the point the pain meds didn't do anything. He came into the office in tears. I adjusted his sacrum and loosened his piriformis muscle (they were tight. His legs were uneven length as well. After 30 minutes that man walked out of the office pain free, without a cane, and stood up straight!!! The results can be amazing. My MD I was rotating with was so impressed that she is actually go to take a manipulation course in michigan this spring.

I hope that answered your question.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 11 months ago #56234 by Cabinbuilder

Originally posted by doc-to-be:
Hello, there. I am so glad I found this website! This is the information I've been needing. I am JUST beginning my journey to becoming a DO. I will begin a premedical program in May. I plan to do my residency in psychiatry.
I am REALLY interested in hearing from DOs who had children while in school (especially those who did/are doing their residencies in psychiatry). I don't have children yet, but my husband and I want to start within the next few years. What would you say is the best year to have a baby? After first year? After second year? Once rotations begin? Or, is every year equally hard?
Also (this will sound like a naive question), do you have the option to take an occasional summer off? I ask because my mom had me while in law school, and she planned for me to be born after finals so she could have the summer with me before she went back to school. Is this realistic for DO students?
Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, I am in DO school now and had 2 kids before I started. Most people I know had their child between first and second year or at the end of second year. You only have the summer off between first and second year. You do not have the option to take summers off after that. You get a one month vacation slot years 3 & 4. You do your vacation when you have the baby. I would not advise being pregnant and trying to do a surgery rotation - lots of long long hours on your feet. The school I go to is very family friendly and they work with students who are pregnant - you never know if you will have comlications, bed rest, C-section etc. You have to be aware that things happen and not everyone has easy deliveries. A friend of mine who is a DO has her first baby after 2nd year and the second baby right after graduation. In DO school the rotations are fairly laid back where I am. The most difficuly is surgery like I said. Otherwise its just like going to work everyday and I get home usually by 4pm depending on the rotation. I just finished my psysch rotation with a DO who is pregnant with her 4th child and she's just finishing her residency now. It is very possible. The first and second years is classwork and studying so being pregnant would be fairly easy, its finding good childcare and lack of sleep afterward that is the hard part.

feel free to PM me if you have more questions

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 4 months ago #56235 by Empi
I'm pretty sure I want to be a DO because I'm a bit on the crunchy side and really like the model of complementary medicine and the Osteopathic view of the body as a whole.

I'm not saying MD's cannot be crunchy because I know a few extremely holistic MD's but I think the DO system is embraces that philosophy.

Additionally, DO schools seem to encourage nontraditional students and, ahem, I resemble that category.

More
13 years 3 months ago #56236 by drvicky
Hi everyone, I am a D.O. F.P. . I graduated from NYCOM in 1999. Good luck to all of you 1st years. Being a d.o. makes you special. embrace it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #56237 by biohazard08

Originally posted by <studentmom>:
Hi all,
I am a mom of three children, ages14,10 and 2years. I got married when I was 17 to an awesome person through arranged marriage. I put my dream on hold while he pursued medicine. Now I feel it is my turn, I got accepted to med school this year. I am extremely happy that I got in, but I have to leave my family and relocate to another state. This has really put a damper on my celebration. Are there anybody in similar situation? If so reply.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!