× Introductions & Connections

D.O.s and Future D.O.s

More
12 years 4 months ago #56244 by dancin doc

Originally posted by sandersdo:
I am a D.O. in my 10th year of private practice in family medicine. I did an OMM pre-graduate fellowship as a 5th year of medical school. I only applied to D.O. schools despite excellent grades and MCAT scores. So many people think of D.O. schools as having lower acceptance standards, which is untrue.

I will be starting a D.O. school in the fall, and I too had high MCAT and GPA, which made people question why I was not going an allopathic route. It makes me sad to know that people feel D.O. schools are of a lower quality or lower standard. I know that this is not true, and so I followed my heart. I felt that D.O. philosophy of treating a person as a whole person with preventitive medicine and education was important. Combined with my personal experiences and goals (I would like to go into rural underserved medicine as a FP or peds), chose Philadelphia and will begin there in August.

PCOM Class of 2010<br /><br />let us read and let us dance- two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. [voltaire]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #56245 by PremedRN
Hi, I'm going to be starting Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences to become an osteopathic physician! Any other KCUMBer's lurking?

More
12 years 4 months ago #56246 by unedoc
Hi,
I just graduated from UNECOM and am expecting my first baby any day now (38 weeks today). I matched to a prelim medicine program here in New England and an anesthesia residnecy program also in New England. I am taking 6 weeks off (all my vacation and a research elective) as my maternity leave and then start up on the wards. I'm so excited, yet very scared as well. I just joined this website, I think it is great! Nice to meet you all! :wave:

More
12 years 4 months ago #56247 by emidesu
I am starting at PCOM this year. I'm 40 and also just got engaged, so I'm looking forward to hearing from people who have managed to balance medicine with their family lives...

More
12 years 4 months ago #56248 by lpressley130
I'm premed (at 42!) but am quite interested in pursuing the DO path. I feel the philosophy of considering the patient as a whole appeals to me the most. Can't wait!

More
12 years 4 months ago #56249 by Doc201X
I'm seriously considering tossing in my hat into the PCOM applicant pool this year!! :yes:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!