× Introductions & Connections

D.O.s and Future D.O.s

More
14 years 5 months ago #56220 by **DONOTDELETE**
Hi all,
I am a mom of three children, ages14,10 and 2years. I got married when I was 17 to an awesome person through arranged marriage. I put my dream on hold while he pursued medicine. Now I feel it is my turn, I got accepted to med school this year. I am extremely happy that I got in, but I have to leave my family and relocate to another state. This has really put a damper on my celebration. Are there anybody in similar situation? If so reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #56221 by **DONOTDELETE**
Hi all,
I am a mom of three children, ages14,10 and 2years. I got married when I was 17 to an awesome person through arranged marriage. I put my dream on hold while he pursued medicine. Now I feel it is my turn, I got accepted to med school this year. I am extremely happy that I got in, but I have to leave my family and relocate to another state. This has really put a damper on my celebration. Are there anybody in similar situation? If so reply.

More
14 years 5 months ago #56222 by **DONOTDELETE**
I am a DO. I work as a faculty member at an ACGME approved program and we have both DO and MD residents. I do get a lot of referrals for "back pain" "neck pain" etc. However, if there is one thing I want to impart to other physicians, it is that DO's look at the whole body...that is to say that the woman who comes in with rib pain 3 months after a mastectomy and now has swelling in the midthorax...cannot just betreated with pain meds for the rib pain. She has edema from the surgery, difficulty with draining it because of lymph vessel pirating and hasn't been able to take a good breath for 3 months because she is afraid that she might make her stitches burst!! There is alot more to do than just "manipulate" here.

I am thrilled to see DO added to the MomMD site. Thank you. I do work in an "MD" world, but I love to teach and if I can give someone one more thing to do for a patient before they walk out the door, I am happy to offer it!! My MD counterparts and friends are only too happy to learn.

More
14 years 5 months ago #56223 by Amy26
I'm still pre-med, and hope to get into one of the 2 DO schools around me. I like the more holistic approach, and treating the person as a "whole". I'm also applying to allopathic schools just so I'm not limited to only two schools.

More
14 years 4 months ago #56224 by VV17
Hello Everyone!

I'm just beginning the long process of taking my science pre-req's.
I've been an Athletic Trainer for the past 2 years. I've been working in a clinic with Residents, MD's, & DO's in the family practice & sports medicine setting.

I love the DO philosophy! I'm blown away by how much I think & treat my PT patients and high school kids in this manner! I now have a DO as my PCP!

I visited a DO school in my area & I was just so excited, by how I seemed to fit in so very well; esp. being non-traditional! Everyone was so very nice & yes I hope to apply to that school!

Anyone have any advice on taking Chem I + Chem II during the summer? My math is strong but I haven't taken Chem for 4 years! (& it was a lower level)

It's great to know there are other folks out there!
-VV

More
14 years 4 months ago #56225 by gioia
Hey VV17,

Could that med school in your area be UNE?

I will be an MS1 in a matter of weeks (@UNE). I chose DO for a variety of reasons and I am happy that I did!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!