× Introductions & Connections

MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!

More
14 years 9 months ago #56502 by MomMD
:D

MomMD has been around for 4 years this year, we now have over 3500 members! Many of you I know quite well, some of you have been around since the beginning. I'd like members new and old to introduce themselves, or re-introduce themselves in this thread. Help build this 'member mosaic'! It will give a great overall picture of the kind of woman (or man) who makes us MomMD members. I'm sure there's no such thing as a MomMD member.

So tell us who you are, where you're from, what your story is and throw in something fun like what your favorite movie or hobby is!!

I'm Sethina, founder and big mamma of MomMD. I a medical school applicant (have interview this month) and a mom of two wonderful daughters aged 4 and 2. I need a vacation and my favorite hobby is cooking... who are you?

Sethina :goodvibes:

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #56503 by UCLABruin
I'm Brittany. I'm 19 and a sophomore at UCLA, as the name implies. I'm not a mom (that will wait until I am married). I will be taking the MCAT in a little over a year. :eek: I like running/soccer, reading, art, Broadway, and SpongeBob. I also REALLY enjoy studying. It's weird, I know, but I just love it. :D

More
14 years 9 months ago #56504 by **DONOTDELETE**
i'm liz. I have 2 kids a girl and a boy ages 13 and 10. I am married and am starting my prereqs. I have found a lot of good advice on the boards here and the non-trad. forums. I currently work as an NP and i know the road ahead is somewhat uncertain. It fills me with excitment. Good luck to everyone who is just beginning...and thanks to all who so willingly share there experiences.

More
14 years 9 months ago #56505 by Fernette
I'm a neurologist. I have 2 kids (6 & 8). I've been in academia (Asst Prof University of Chicago), group practice, and now have an absolutely perfect job which combines a home private practice specializing in kids with learning difficulties with homeschooling one of our children who is gifted with learning challenges. My husband is another doctor. I also have a faculty appointment at the University of Washington. I'm have a great time. Fernette

More
14 years 9 months ago #56506 by Nanon
Hi all. I'm 33, married for (almost) 9 years, and currently working towards my BA in Cognitive Science at UC Berkeley. No kids yet, but we're trying. :crossfingers:

I was a highschool dropout, so I've been in college for what seems like forever - 8 years! I transfered to UC Berkeley from City College of San Francisco as a Junior... 3 years ago. :laughing: Needless to say, I'm doing the "extended" educational tour. I plan to finally walk next Spring.

As for what I do to make money - I'm a research assistant on a study that primarily looks at HIV medication compliance among homeless and marginally housed people. My volunteer stuff is pretty interesting too. I run one of 3 anonymous HIV test sites in San Francisco, at a needle exchange no less.

Sometimes all of this seems ridiculous. I started college because I wanted to be a doctor. I started with the erroneous belief that if I just worked hard enouph, I'd be out in 4 years with straight A's. Again, :laughing: . My life, at least, has a different agenda. I may never make it to medical school. If I don't, it would be something to get over, but then I think of where I was when I started and marvel at where I am now. It was worth it, regardless.

Example: Last night, I went to Nasa Ames with a friend of mine. She does MCB research there, and in fact had an experiment on board the Columbia. I checked out her research, and we talked about it for a while. It struck me on the way home what had really just happened... I, the highschool dropout, the ex-stripper, the girl most likely NOT to succeed, had just spent 2 hours talking intelligently to one of the foremost scientists in this country... about science. College education? 20,000. That one experience? Priceless.

Nanon

More
14 years 9 months ago #56507 by mmk3
:wave: Hi! I'm a clinical research associate in Boston and an candidate for medical school for this fall. I've been married for almost two years to a great, supportive guy. Right now, our plan is to wait on having children until after med school. I had two interviews in Nov-Dec, and am waiting to hear back from schools. This is a terrific website, and it's been great reading everyone's comments and words of advice. I wish the best of luck to everyone who is considering a career in medicine, and continued success and perserverance to those who are already in it.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!