× Introductions & Connections

MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!

More
12 years 1 month ago #56754 by LauraMD
Hi there everyone! :wave:

My name is Laura. I am re-introducing myself. I have recently rediscovered MomMD after being away for several years (or recently rediscovered a bit of time to do something other than run around like my hair is on fire! :hyper: )

When I first started posting here (OMG.. has it really been eight years ago now?? Wow..) I was a first year med student and had one little boy who was.. (quick-who has a calculator?) ..uh..six!) Well, my 'little' boy is now 14 and has three little siblings. I had my daughter (now age 5) in my fourth year of med school, and my twins in my third year of family med residency. I am now working full time in family med, urgent care, and hospice/palliative care medicine. I am also on the clinical faculty at my medical school (I love teaching, and couldn't give it up.) I love my work and my precious family. And though it has required some sacrifice along the way, I have come to a great place in my life and I'm quite fulfilled.

I look forward to talking with you all and getting to know you. :smile:

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #56755 by texas40chickmd
Hi everyone!

I just turned 40 in December 2007 and am starting my prereqs this Spring 2008. I have my Bachelor's in Education with biology and English fields and a Master's in Education -Curriculum and Instruction. I'm married to a great guy (2nd marriage) and have three children - 20 (Katrina), 16 (Austin), and 9 (Raven). My oldest, Katrina, made me a grandmother earlier this year at 39 (I could have killed her!! just kidding!) Anyhow life is full...

I'm currently the Director of Professional Development and Training at a large educational testing firm. I taught MS/HS for 10 years, trained teachers/administrators for 6 years, then moved into management. This has been a fun ride, but now I'm ready to pursue my REAL dream. I've wanted this since college my first round, but I was one of those that was talked into a "mommy profession" - teaching. I plan to use all of my teaching skills as a physician, so my 1st life was well worth it.

I'm so glad to have found this site... I've been here almost every day since I found it. Being surrounded by other women supporting each other through the journey will certainly make it much more enjoyable!!!

Keeping my eye on the prize!

More
12 years 1 month ago #56756 by Eli
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LauraMD:
<strong> Hi there everyone! :wave:

My name is Laura. I am re-introducing myself. I have recently rediscovered MomMD after being away for several years (or recently rediscovered a bit of time to do something other than run around like my hair is on fire! :laughing:
By the way, how has it been with the kids/family/school/residency....?
Anyway, its nice to be back again and to see some of the firsts mommd friends still come around.
Bye Eli

"The strength of our present state of mind will always be the master of our destiny" Bhante Wimala

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #56757 by kagriff
Hi All!
I'm new here too!
I am a med school applicant in the current cycle for the entering class of 2008 and mother to an amazing 12 year old son. When I was a senior in high school I became pregnant, much to the chagrin of my family, and have been working and going to school as a single mother ever since!! I never married but met the man of my dreams two year ago and we recently moved in together...
I have my first interview on the 13th of Feb and am oscillating between terrified and thrilled! I began this med school journey nearly 7 years ago and have lots of advice about it and maintaining balance if anyone should need it!

Does anyone have advice about the interview process????

I really excited to help and be helped!!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #56758 by stepanka
Hi
I am new but have lurked for the past year or so. Not a mom, but I love all the advice and stories here. I'm an English major at UT Austin and just got accepted to UTHSC San Antonio. Annnnd, my hobby is loving my 2 dachshund babies to death.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #56759 by lucianmommyoftwins
Hi everyone!

I'm new but I must admit I've been checking out mommd for a while. I am a mother of seven month old twins. I am also married. My undergrad degree was in English and Comparative Lit. but I completed a very informal Post Bacc to get my premed requirements. I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was six years old but my undergrad institution was not very supportive of "women of color" becoming physicians. In my second week as a Freshmen I was told by my premed adviser to look into nursing or public health instead. I was not the only one this happened to. I found out later on after speaking to other "female doctors of color" who were alums at my college that they too had gone through similar experiences. I am in the process of studying for the MCAT. I took the first computer based and it was a nightmare. I performed horribly. I'm really nervous about the test. If anyone has study strategies please share them. I cannot see myself in any other profession so I'm going after my dream.

I get really depressed when people make negative statements such as "How are you gonna go to medical school and you have two kids?" I get that all the time. They make it seem as if having kids is a debilitating disorder or a life in prison with the possibility of parole sentence. I must admit mommd has helped me tremendously. When I hear stories that I can relate to it makes me feel much better. Ok, I think I've said enough.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!