× Introductions & Connections

MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!

More
15 years 2 months ago #56508 by Elizabeth Abdalla
Hi all!

I'm Beth and I'm a first year med student at UT in San Antonio. At 31, I'm older than the average student, but surprisingly it's been a great advantage. Prior to med school I was in graduate school and I'm still working on completing my thesis for my Ph.D. I have a 16-month-old son and a very family-oriented husband without whom I couldn't be in medical school.

I'm also a member of the Air Force, which is paying my way through school.

I've been a lurker on this website since it's conception (so long I forgot my original user name and had to re-register), so I'm looking forward to being a little more involved.

-Beth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #56509 by Dana
I am a 32 year old mother of three(ages 9,8,6) with a biology degree from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. I have been accepted to the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine for the 2003 entering class. I am interested in radiology and cardiology. Love this site!

More
15 years 2 months ago #56510 by hrsbkrdr
I am a 41 year old pediatric orthopaedist who has been in practice for 8 years. To all those who have not yet taken the plunge into medical school, I would advise you to seriously consider another career. Medicine is not what it used to be and the reimbursement is going down every year. The personal sacrifices that you will make as you go through school and residency also have a very high price tag. I would be willing to bet that the divorce rate among women physicians is two or three times that of other professions. Medical marriages probably have the highest. You are guaranteed to be sued at least once and I guarantee that it will be traumatic, even if you did nothing wrong. My 3 year old son cries every morning because his mom will be gone for at least 12 to 14 hours that day and he is being raised by a nanny. At least I can afford a nanny and private school. In the next ten years, if the insurance companies have their ways, the women physicians behind me will be doing day care and public schools and still working 14 hours a day....

More
15 years 2 months ago #56511 by MADSKYE
:wave:

Hi,

I'm sort of lost :confused: at the moment, career-wise that is. I have a five-month-old :rotfl:

Thanks for listening!

More
15 years 2 months ago #56512 by lori
Hi all :wave: ! I don't think I have ever done an intro, although I have many posts. I am 33, married and have a six-year-old son, Isaiah. I had a B.S. in Criminal Justice and Political Science (law school on the brain) when I became pregnant with our son (which, in itself is a miracle because I was told at a young age I could not have children). I decided to postpone law school for a few years until my son was a little older. I started off as a pre-med major while I was in the USAF, but changed my mind when I separated from the service six years later (oops!) I always had the urge for med school, but was afraid of the long and grueling hours. I stepped up to the plate three and a half years ago after I lost my father to CHF. I returned to my alma mater to get the necessary classes, etc. The hard was has actually paid off! I will be attending PCOM come August :rotfl: !
I currently work in the health care field as a Nursing Assistant (six years now). I work for a private duty agency, but it has recently been contracted out through Allied to care for the mentally challenged who also have some medical problems. I love the work, the pay is great. I think I will at least be ready for the "scut work" as a MS3/4 and intern.
I have a very supportive husband. He is a contractor by trade. He is a very loving husband and great father. He is very excited about our move to Philly.
In my spare time, I love to spend it with my son- bowling, movies or just playing Legos. We also camp every weekend from April to October. Well, long enough for me. So happy to be a member of such a GREAT site :D !!!!

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
15 years 2 months ago #56513 by TexasRose
Wow, I'm loving all these intro's!

Let's see, I'm nearly 33, married 11 years with a wonderful 8yr old daughter and 6 yr old fraternal twin boys! My husband is a business consultant who travels during the week, currently to CA. My boys are in half-day Kindergarten and love soccer. My daughter is a 3rd grader and preparing to compete in her first gymnastics meet next week! I'm a very proud mom, and a busy one, too.

I'm currently taking my last prereq course, org II, and studying for the April MCAT. (BA in Anthropology, 1991) I also volunteer in a Hosp ICU, a wonderful and sobering experience. I'll be applying to med school later this year! :D

I read voraciously and am planning to start writing with my husband after I finish this semester. (he's been asking me to write down my stories for years)

Oh yes, I'm also the moderator for this forum and love reading everyone's stories!

Theresa

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!