× MCAT & USMLE

2010 MCAT Takers.... UNITE!

More
9 years 5 months ago #74627 by Sleepless in Dekalb
I am planning on taking it on July 8th, but an swamped with other coursework so I may push it back till August. I have an email in to someone from admissions to see if this could really harm my application process. I am sort of wigging out about the whole thing and feel really underprepared. How many hours a day and for how many weeks did you really put in to study before hand? any tips would be wonderful

~do not pray for an easier life, pray instead to be a stronger person~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74651 by premed mom
hey sleepless. dont wig out! its hard, but recent coursework will help to prepare you. I cant say how many hours you need to prepare. for me, it had been a few years since i had some of the classes, so i needed to study more than someone who had the material more recently.

i used examkrackers to review. i did not like their workbooks, but i did like their textbooks/review books. in addition, you should do ALL of the practice tests you can on the official MCAT website. one of them is free and the rest are $35 each. very much worth it. try one of the practice tests to get a feel for how prepared you are. and dont worry if you dont do well, it may take some time to get used to the format of the test. pay attention to your practice score. if you cant score above a 25 after you have done a few, then i might push back the MCAT or figure out what the problem is (just one area?, or need to change study habits?). i felt comfortable once i was above a 30, but always assume you'll do worse on the real thing.

talk to an admissions person, but im pretty sure taking the MCAT in august would be a huge disadvantage.
if you're shooting for harvard or some other very competitive med school, then you might want to wait to take the MCAT and apply next cycle. if you have a less competitive school in mind and you know them well, they know you well, maybe you can talk to them and see what they're willing to accept. good luck!

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -H. Thurman

More
9 years 4 months ago #74854 by Striving2succeed
I begun my prep this month trying to use EK Lecture books and their 1001 series. I scored an 8 in Physical Sciences in 2006 and a 5 in Physical Sciences in 2010. Go figure! So I am really really trying to concentrate on my Physical Sciences score especially Physics. However, I keep hearing that the Berkeley Review books are great for physical sciences but they are so hard to get...and my budget is kinda low. Hopefully I can afford to get some at the end of this month. I would still have the entire month of July to study with them.

Test date: July 29th

Wanted to save my AAMC exams until July. I have 4-8.

Perhaps I will purchase 9 and 10 in July.

~Perpetually Striving2wardssucess!<br />Philippians 4:13<br />I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

More
9 years 4 months ago #74860 by Doc201X

Godsdoc2b wrote: IHowever, I keep hearing that the Berkeley Review books are great for physical sciences but they are so hard to get...and my budget is kinda low.

TBR books are the best I've seen and I've tried them all!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
9 years 4 months ago #74873 by Striving2succeed
Well until I am able to get those TBR books...looks like I am going to have to go back to the Gen. Chem. textbook and use online videos for Physics.

I took EK Lecture 3 In-Class Exam in Chemistry and my feelings were seriously hurt!!!!!!

I can't wait until I am able to get Berkeley Review...but I sure hope they are very readable and as good as everyone proclaims them to be.

~Perpetually Striving2wardssucess!<br />Philippians 4:13<br />I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

More
9 years 4 months ago #74886 by Striving2succeed
Definitely feeling much better! I know I can do it...I just have to stay strong and be persistent.

Stay encouraged fellow MCAT Takers!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!