× MCAT & USMLE

How do MCAT scores correlate with USMLE Step?

More
7 years 8 months ago #84307 by AmmaMD
Nice work, carliz, with the actual data!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #84515 by carliz
Thanks, AmmaMD! I'm actually taking my MCAT in 26 days (and counting), so I was pretty interested in the question.

Google is a wonderful thing... =)

I wonder if the new MCAT (coming in 2015) will show any stronger of a correlation? Hmm...
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

More
7 years 6 months ago #84909 by Doc201X

AmmaMD wrote: Nice work, carliz, with the actual data!

Yeah, data that appears to be statistically INsignificant? Not so good IMHO.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
7 years 3 months ago #86118 by megboo
I don't think they correlate all that well. For one, most everyone that gets into medical school does well enough... to get into medical school. For that reason, that's why there are so many more people that pass and do well on Step 1 than don't get a good score on the MCAT. The average Step 1 score keeps increasing, too, which tells you something there.

And now my anecdote. The top student in my class, with a 260+ Step 1, got a 23 on the MCAT.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
3 years 11 months ago #96141 by Stupidroo
I definitely believe that there is a correlation between MCAT scores and USMLE scores. However, the correlation isn't particularly strong for a number of reasons. The tests both assess knowledge of topics, but there is far less reasoning on the USMLE. In my experience, questions on the USMLE are very straight forward and only require recognizing a pattern. The amount of knowledge required is immense, but you do not need to apply the knowledge in the same way the MCAT requires. In some ways, the MCAT is probably better at predicting the clinical skill of a physician than the USMLE which is gauging how much information you are able to absorb. I did above average on both but I found the MCAT to be more interesting and stimulating than the USMLE. Test taking skills obviously benefit you on both exams as well which can explain part of the correlation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!