× MCAT & USMLE

Pumping breast milk during Step 1

More
6 years 7 months ago #88549 by evilcynic
I got two cones, extra bottles,and a double tubing setup, and a special bra that holds both in place for hands-free, so I pumped twice as fast and could work or flip through pics of my baby and relax.

I was annoyed/distracted by having wet nursing pads on from random leaks, so I changed them constantly (even in public,super stealth swap,lol) and kept a baggie handy for wet ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88577 by bluebird
Thanks to everyone for the tips! I talked to a local lactation consultant and she said not to worry about it, so I'm trying to focus on studying (and washing baby clothes) for now.

I love my dog and my chickens. They are much less demanding than professors or patients.

More
3 years 8 months ago #96242 by pcsk9
How did it go? Any advice or updates?

More
3 years 8 months ago #96243 by bluebird
Wow, that was over two years ago!! It went fine. I had to be very careful about my break time. Here's what I did:

2 "long" breaks of 20 min each - pump for 15min, snack while pumping, pee. I brought a hands-free pumping bra so I could eat and drink while pumping.
Between each block I took a 5min break to stretch my legs, pee, and have a drink of water so I wouldn't be distracted during the blocks. I also hand expressed a teeny bit of milk during my 5-min breaks to minimize engorgement.

Overall, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

That being said, I was also about 4-5 months postpartum when I took the test. In the first few weeks after my milk came in I had a terrible time with engorgement and plugged ducts - I never would have been able to go that long between pumping sessions at that point.

I'm planning a post about breastfeeding in medical school on my blog, doctorssurvivingmedicine.com - if you check by in a few weeks, it should be up.

I love my dog and my chickens. They are much less demanding than professors or patients.

More
3 years 8 months ago #96244 by pcsk9
Thanks for the update! I will definitely check out your blog.

More
3 years 8 months ago #96258 by bluebird
I just wanted to let you know that the post about breast pumping in med school is up here:
doctorssurvivingmedicine.com/dr-mom/brea...g-in-medical-school/

I have another one coming in a few more weeks about pumping and breastfeeding during USMLE.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!