× MCAT & USMLE

Struggling - Studying for Step2, SAHM

More
4 years 1 week ago #96129 by Nida
Hey everyone,

Need some advice and boost of esteem. Having the hardest time finding a solid routine to study for Step 2. Getting even a few hrs in without being interrupted has been difficult. When I do study I feel guilty for not spending the time with my LO and when I don't its whole another guilt trip for not studying. Coming from a traditional family background almost all house chores fall upon me and by the time I'm done tending to house, husband & baby, I am exhausted. I have no family near by to help; my husband does help out but he can only manage so much after he himself is done working. Beginning to feel borderline depressed, putting on weight and basically loosing any interest in myself or my goals. Any advice, suggestions on how to manage will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 days ago #96135 by op007
Hey, I can't offer you much suggestion other than
TRY HARDER, BE BETTER!!! .... (sarcasm) Hah hah, this is what my attending told me as "feedback"
Look, we have all those 39 wks preggo residents still operating, and those sahm who publishes 3 papers in 6 months, but if you are not one of those people, you are just not - I am not. I accepted that. I assume you are not either, because people are like that are pretty hard to find really.
I managed to not study for step 2 at all even during my pregnancy, who pathetic is that? Because I was just not feeling well. That is not an acceptable excuse for anyone in my med school, but what can I do?

The truth is, you cannot do all the housework, taking care of baby, hangout w/ baby and try to study more than a few hours a day. That's just how it is.
You need a nanny or daycare. You need to ask your family and your husband if they even want you to be a doctor. Our society liionize those who can do it by themselves but no, nobody can do it by themselves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nida

More
3 years 11 months ago #96139 by Nida
Hi op007,
I couldn't agree with you more, I accepted it as well and just like you I was not able to study either for Step 2 as I had planned while I was preggo, just wasn't expecting to be so sick through the pregnancy and yes it was very discouraging! I think the biggest struggle for me is accepting I cannot do it ALL and being very unforgiving of myself. But after much thought I have realized I need to take one day at a time, and focus on me just as much if not more to be mentally, physically and emotionally healthy for my own sake & everyone around me. Had a heart-to-heart with my husband and family and unlike my normal reaction of closing up and trying to deal with it all alone I demanded the much needed extra help around the house and the understanding that I need time to commit to my personal goals/study.
Thank you for being so upfront and honest and especially for helping me realize I am not in this alone!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!